"77" Chevy K10 SWB restoration, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lee0916

Reaction score
My first time posting here. My son and I are restoring a "77" Chevy K10 swb and I was wondering if anyone could help me with a little problem. The parking brake cables were damaged and it appears to be missing some parts.
What I need is a diagram of the PB cables for this truck. I have looked on the net some but I haven't found anything very helpful. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
go to lmctruck.com and look through their catalog, they have alot of the parts and pics of most of the pieces involved.

Lee0916

Reaction score
I have already looked at the LMC site/catalog the only diagram shown was for a C10 and I believe the K10 is a little different.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
What specifically do you need to see? Back at the brake drum? The sction between the drum and the splitter? The section from the splitter to the cab? Or something from inside the cab?

Lee0916

Reaction score
From your descriptions I believe it is the section between the spliter and the rearend.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Let me guess, the connectors that join the V-shaped cable to the cables that go from the frame to the rear axle rusted away or are gone. Mine were gone so I took two, 1/2" diameter pieces of pipe about an inch long, cut a slot in the side of them, then smashed them a little in a vice, with the slot facing one of the now "flat" sides. Then I drilled a hole in the middle of the slot so the cable ends could be slipped in. After connecting the cables up I then used a hose clamp around the slotted portion to keep them from coming back out. If this is the part you're talking about I'll take a pic of it tomorrow and post it up. It may be tomorrow evening before I can post it though, busy day ahead.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome Lee. So how old is your son??? I am looking so forward to working on my projects with my son. Right now he does alot of TALKING of how he wants to help and learn, but always seen when its time to start working on the truck, his friends show up, and its time to go skateboarding, bike riding, roller skating or hanging out at the park. I have a feeling when gets closer to 16 and getting a Driver's License, he'll be much more apt to ACTUALLY help instead of talk.
Do keep us update on your issure. Sounds like CZ4 might have you hooked up here already.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Welcome Lee. So how old is your son??? I am looking so forward to working on my projects with my son. Right now he does alot of TALKING of how he wants to help and learn, but always seen when its time to start working on the truck, his friends show up, and its time to go skateboarding, bike riding, roller skating or hanging out at the park. I have a feeling when gets closer to 16 and getting a Driver's License, he'll be much more apt to ACTUALLY help instead of talk.
Do keep us update on your issure. Sounds like CZ4 might have you hooked up here already.

I have the same hope that my sons will enjoy working on the truck with me and maybe even have a father/sons project of our own. That'd be great to me. They both (ages 3 1/2 and 16 months) really enjoy going for rides and stuff and like to "work" on their cozy coupe while I'm working on the cars so hopefully their interest continues to grow as they get older. As a dad that'd be very enjoyable to me :)

Lee0916

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and in response to Crazy4offroad, I don't believe I'm missing any of the parts you are refering to, but I'm not sure because I really don't know what it should look like at all. A pic of a correctly assembled PB cable would be extremely helpful. Now to answer your question Mr.GMSB my son is 15 and he is my youngest. He is extremely smart in school, nearly all straight A's but he isn't as mechanically inclined as his older brother so I decided to buy an old truck for he and I to restore together. We have already removed the front clip, motor and trans. and the cab. We have rebuilt the motor and it is hanging on the engine stand ready to be set back on the chassis. Currently we are cleaning and repainting the front half of the chassis. When we first began the project my son didn't have a good appreciation for the need to pay close attention to the little details that really make the resto complete. However, he recently has had a change of heart, especially since we started painting the chassis. He has seen the light!
Something I failed to mention is that we are working on a very limited budget and any tips or suggestons as to how to save $ will be greatly appreciated. I don't like being ham strung like that but it is what it is. My loving wife is not a big fan of this project, she would have rather went and bought him a newer used truck that was in good operating condition but I talked her into this. She's being a good sport though, no fussing or complaining about the amount of time we have been devoting to the truck, but the $ concerns her. So we are trying to keep it as low cost as posible without compromising on the important things. if anyone ha any general or specific suggestions or tips, please feel free to post them or PM me any and all are welcomed as this is our first true frame-off resto.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
When I did my restore on my 77 (also a father/son project with my dad that we started when I was 26) we did all the work ourselves similar to how you and your son are doing and that is a HUGE way to save some money. We still spent quite a bit in the end but it's been 7 years now so spreading it out over that long of period of time makes it MUCH easier so definitely take your time and don't get in a hurry.

Here are my 3 top tips for saving money during the project...
1. Do as much yourself as humanly possible even if it means needing to buy a new tool or two
2. Reuse parts wherever possible. It's amazing what a little polishing and/or painting will do to 33 year old parts. With a little bit of work you can make a lot of them look virtually brand new and you've spent very little.
3. Take your time and don't get into a hurry. With my project I had the mindset that I had all the time in the world so why rush it. During the 7 years we took extended breaks where no "progress" was made just to build up the "truck fund" again. In the end the project will turn out better anyway because you won't get burned out and you'll continue thinking of fresh ideas for the next phase.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
One thing good about the budget, with these SB trucks, they are fairly cheap and parts are out there, so that keeps the costs from being to high. So is the son coming around and liking getting involved, or do you think he's participating just so he'll have something to drive? Maybe, just maybe, the wife might have had the right idea in this case with your son.
This isn't an ass chewin, its just food for thought. I have coached 10-11yo kids playing baseball, and I have coached 11-13yo kids playing soccer. Some kids just aren't athletically inclined. I even seen brothers, 1 brother was all over it, the other just sit staring at the ball with his arms folded and get scared and run the other way when the ball is coming at him. You could tell which kids wanted to play and which ones didn't. Then you'd have the parents yelling and screaming at their kid. So you knew it was the parent that WANTED their kid to play ball, not the kid wanting to play ball. I had no problem telling parents that their kid didn't want to play and they are not going to perform if they don't want to do it. Then you had the kids that wanted to do it, but just weren't agressive enough or had the confidence to do it. Those kids I could work with, if they want to do it, we can teach the aggression and give them the confidence, but a kid that just flat doesn't want to do it, they aren't going to do it, and if the parent just yells and screams at the kid, its counter productive and goes the wrong way. I told parents, if your kid doesn't want to play, you shouldn't force them to play. We as people are all differant. Some of us are athletic, some are mechanical, some are just smart as hell geeks and care about E=MC2(squared).
I had always preched to my daughter and layed a foundation about education being important and never having to depend on a man since she was in 6th grade. By 8th grade she wanted to play basketball and she made the team barely, as an alternate aka bench warmer. She'd get to play maybe 5 minutes in each half. Not much. Then a girl got hurt and she got to play a full half and another alternate got to play a full half. I didn't want to hurt my daughters feelings and tell her she sucked. But she really did in comparison to the other girls. Talking to my daughter, I realized my daughter didn't want to play basketball, she wanted a scholarship and she thought you had to play sports to get it, so she signed up and tried out. I didn't want her to be discouraged as the bench warmer and lose her self esteem. So I made the suggestion to her, as I did many parents of kids I coached, maybe sports isn't for you. Its not for everyone. You're a smart girl, and she is, straight A her whole life, so you keep those A's going, getting into higher end college level classes in school and with your weighted grade, you can actually be well above a 4.0 GPA and fill out forms now in your freshman year for scholarships, and you can get your scholaships with academics instead of sports. So she did, took trigenometry, biology etc, the tough classes and of 670 kids, she graduated #3 smartest in her class and graduated in a white gown. After her 1st semester of senior, the scholarship offers started pouring in, and pending her final senior grade, as to which ones she'd get. She didn't even have to attend her 2nd sememster of senior year, but to qualify for the best scholarship funds, she took 4 AP classes anyway. Sorry this got so long. I think you get the point by now. Don't be upset your son doesn't get involved or as mechanical as you want. Seems he's motivated by having something to drive, and that's good, that will keep him involved and will look back on the experience some day and be grateful. But just saying, if my kid doesn't want to be mechanical and twist a screwdriver, but wants to be a forensic scientist or a lawyer, hopefully not a crooked one if there is such a thing, then so be it. You older boy might be the head mechanic in a Nascar teams pit, but your other boy might be a brain surgeon. Just saying, don't get disouraged if your son doesn't participate, and don't force it on him, since that will only create bad blood between the 2 of you, and the wife too. KInda goes for everyone the same. We are all differant.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I'm tired now. I need to go lay down........

:gathering:

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I understand what Mr.GMSB is saying. But it is a little different for boys when it comes to mechanics. We want them to know, or have a good idea, what to do if a problem arises at a bad time. Say it's snowing or something, you want them to know the basics, use hazard lights, simple troubleshooting, etc. Or if they get a flat it is OK to drive in the emergency lane at a slow speed to get to somewhere safe if need be. I hate to see [mostly] women do that, have a flat and cant hardly pull the vehicle out of the road when they could keep going a few hundred yards and get out of harm's way. But having a kid who can troubleshoot good as his old man, well, might be a pipe dream for most of us. Having one who will stop to help a stranger, may never be.

If your son doesnt catch the bug now, he will before long. My nephew thought a FroMaster was a performance upgrade for his Mustang, till I talked to him 10 minutes about gear ratios, compression ratios, tuner chips and the like. Now he's full-blown into it. Last time my other nephew wanted help on his Grand Cherokee all I did was coach and hand tools, made him do it all. And he actually liked it. Made me remember when he was little his bicycle chain popped off and wanted me to fix it, I started handing him tools and telling him how and he just looked at me all puzzled and said "I thought YOU would do it!"

Sorry I wasnt able to get a pic or two on here of the e-brake, it was dark when I got home. I will get it on here in the morning though. :grd:

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome....:wave: Father/son projects are probably one of the most memorable things a dad can do with his son...My dad was too busy working 2 jobs back when I was growing up, so we never had time together to actually work on "major" projects......
I have 2 boys...one is 17, and the other is 7....Of course, the 17 year old is busy with his "life" right now but the 7 yr. old is always interested in what I'm doing...He's helped me landscape..build a deck...and most recently has worked on the new toy with me... We are on a budget as well, but we always find something to do to the truck (weather permitting) even if it is nothing but cleaning it up. I've learned over time that it's not "how many years were in your life...but how much life was in your years"........
Anyways, congrats on your project...Be sure to post up some pics!!!!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
^^this! I agree with everything said here! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody