'73 Chevelle SS Wagon (local find)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've always wanted an excuse to buy one of these guys, now I have a good reason.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-8145c

I'll probably just get that and some cut-to-length wires too. I like yellow wires, but some black wires will probably fit the 'look' better. Yeah I know, I'm trying to keep it looking a certain way, but somehow in my mind, chrome headers and a racey distributor still look kind of stock-ish.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Of course it does. GM's parts interchange between vehicles was tremendous in the '70s. Every full size sedan and light pickups had the same D52 brake pads. Use the same high output SI-10 alternator on most everything, by just re-clocking it, just to name a couple things. We all know how easy it is to swap engines between different models.

Exactly. I actually could have used the same radiator from the K10 too, it's basic dimensions are the same. (K10 has the short radiator). The current alternator is from my old '86 Suburban. When the old "sacrificial" brake pads get done smoothing out the front rotors, I'm going to rob my truck parts bin once again for a fresh set of pads.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I got some pictures for ya though @Rusty Nail

Some of the chrome detail is worn off the cluster bezel, so I started touching that up with a chrome pen. I didn't get too far though, I'll have to finish the job on a day when my hands aren't so shakey.
You must be registered for see images attach

See that Tailgate Unlock switch? Well, it didn't work. But now it does after fixing a broken wire inside the boot that goes to the hatch. Also, the radio and headlight knobs were super gooey and decomposing. They got replaced with ones that are chrome/simulated wood. They decently match the door panels.

As an aside - that tailgate unlock switch looks just like my rear window defog switch. In the middle is "OFF", push down for "LOW" and push up for "HI".

I have my electric fuel pump wired to that switch now (flip the switch up for "ON").

I also have my shift light installed in the "Tailgate Ajar" tell tale in the cluster.

When the tailgate becomes ajar: SHIFT!!

K

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
As an aside - that tailgate unlock switch looks just like my rear window defog switch. In the middle is "OFF", push down for "LOW" and push up for "HI".

I have my electric fuel pump wired to that switch now (flip the switch up for "ON").

I also have my shift light installed in the "Tailgate Ajar" tell tale in the cluster.

When the tailgate becomes ajar: SHIFT!!

K

The previous generation cars used a similar switch and bezel as well. Except on those ones, they are momentary up and down. My switch just has the single momentary position. You push it down to release the latch.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I got some pictures for ya though @Rusty Nail

Some of the chrome detail is worn off the cluster bezel, so I started touching that up with a chrome pen. I didn't get too far though, I'll have to finish the job on a day when my hands aren't so shakey.

See that Tailgate Unlock switch? Well, it didn't work. But now it does after fixing a broken wire inside the boot that goes to the hatch. Also, the radio and headlight knobs were super gooey and decomposing. They got replaced with ones that are chrome/simulated wood. They decently match the door panels.

I had a set of them wood knobs from a nova that i sold on the forum. Was it you i sold them too?! Lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
After driving more a few days later... I'm betting that when I pull the top off the carb, I find that the accelerator pump is decomposing prematurely. I'm not doing it tonight or tomorrow either, but on Friday, it's probably going to happen.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Makes me wonder if there was a "more" desired or updated, 2bbl factory ALUMINUM intake manifold that could be ripe for teh swapping..you could even paint it rust colored if you like but I kind of see what you mean with that short-bus distributor...lemme look around in the garage next week mebbe I can produce a donation...I got some parts like that layin around.

I rembered poppin off my yapper only earlier today , when I saw the box I was lookin for on the high shelf.
I bet they got some cool ish in there.. I ain't figured out how to get to it.
But I found the box that I think has that same distributor in it. Maybe somethin fun and useful will show up?

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I rembered poppin off my yapper only earlier today , when I saw the box I was lookin for on the high shelf.
I bet they got some cool ish in there..ybutvO ain't figured out how to get to it.
But I found the box that I think has that same distributor in it. Maybe somethin fun and useful will show up?

You're one of a kind, Rusty :cheers:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Aww.
Check THIS out yo!

There was a buddy of mine that once cleared a bunch of "stuff" he had collected in the shop he works at AND said I am "the only guy he knows still messin with traditional Small Blocks" he coughed up this Accel distributor and coil.
o_O
Cool, thanks!

(maybe the only guy he knows)

That there is Top.Shelf.Treasure. my friend! Lemme give it to the SS.... :waytogo:
It was even in a box, in a box.

Sry, no Mallory Unilite. :(

Oooh what a tall post you have!
And your wires are sooo big!

Hay eBay, what do these deals go for anyways? Let's find out just cuz we're curious. :hmm:
Accel 37100 goes for a Hundred bucks these days! :cool:

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Aww.
Check THIS out yo!

There was a buddy of mine that once cleared a bunch of "stuff" he had collected in the shop he works at AND said I am "the only guy he knows still messin with traditional Small Blocks" he coughed up this Accel distributor and coil.
o_O
Cool, thanks!

(maybe the only guy he knows)

That there is Top.Shelf.Treasure. my friend! Lemme give it to the SS.... :waytogo:
It was even in a box, in a box.

Sry, no Mallory Unilite. :(

Oooh what a tall post you have!
And your wires are sooo big!

Hay eBay, what do these deals go for anyways? Let's find out just cuz we're curious. :hmm:
Accel 37100 goes for a Hundred bucks these days! :cool:

Dang nice find! I forgot how small those distributors were. o_O

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Spare parts:

K

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Well, they got another box out there in the garage, I was goin thru it last night and found THIS!

Bet it goes to the schmancy distributor yeah?
I had to post in here because this shiny new board nobody wanted won't allow for picture attaching in messages either.
Super cool.

Not as cool as THIS though!
Instructions for power timing!
:waytogo:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl