'73 Chevelle SS Wagon (local find)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yes?
1&3/4 please.

Unfortunately, this adjustment makes no difference for me. I just got done trying that 1.75" setting, and everything from max short to max long. If I bend than rod a few more times, it will probably break, lol. No matter where it's set, the car drives the same.

Maybe I'm just supposed to burn gas and haul ass. It never stumbles if I simply mash the go pedal.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Maybe I'm just supposed to burn gas and haul ass. It never stumbles if I simply mash the go pedal.
Oh yeah that's definitely how you need to drive it. Even my fuel injected stuff, I try to always drive them in such a manner, you know, just to keep them fresh and whatnot. It's good for them

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Heavy on the whatnots..;)

Well Cubo, i'm pleased you agreed that was worth a look, it was the first thought equivalent. Bending carburetor rods is just about as old school cool as it gets!
Maybe we'll come up with somethin else to see..after we let that idea bounce around for a while. :waytogo:

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Heavy on the whatnots..;)

Well Cubo, i'm pleased you agreed that was worth a look, it was the first thought equivalent. Bending carburetor rods is just about as old school cool as it gets!
Maybe we'll come up with somethin else to see..after we let that idea bounce around for a while. :waytogo:

I think Andy should replace the cap and wires as he said he wanted to do. By his own admission, Andy said the wires were shot. His now, high output coil, is pushing the spark current where ever it can go. Maybe cross firing the cap to a cylinder not under compression or even through the coil insulator to ground. You can't even see that happen like leaking wires.:waytogo:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Great "point".
Yeah and besides, there's no fresh pictures of that stuff so there's no tellin what's really goin on! *

All that jazz about the distributor?
Srsly wtf dude? Are we really meant to believe your vehicle hoarding ass aint got another HEI layin around? Cuz i'll tell ya right now Cubo, ain't nobody readin this, believes that!

:xmasorlyflag:

Help us, help you - lmmfao!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I think Andy should replace the cap and wires as he said he wanted to do. By his own admission, Andy said the wires were shot. His now, high output coil, is pushing the spark current where ever it can go. Maybe cross firing the cap to a cylinder not under compression or even through the coil insulator to ground. You can't even see that happen like leaking wires.:waytogo:

From a looks standpoint, yes the wires look terrible. But I guess that's a book that I shouldn't have judged by the cover. It runs so doggone smooth, even under load and when you wind it out. It really does run absolutely wonderful, other than the stumble at low rpm, tip-in.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Great "point".
Yeah and besides, there's no fresh pictures of that stuff so there's no tellin what's really goin on! *

All that jazz about the distributor?
Srsly wtf dude? Are we really meant to believe your vehicle hoarding ass aint got another HEI layin around? Cuz i'll tell ya right now Cubo, ain't nobody readin this, believes that!

:xmasorlyflag:

Help us, help you - lmmfao!

I've got bunches of HEI distributors. I simply didn't want to go that route because it would look "out of place" for this car, in my mind.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I got some pictures for ya though @Rusty Nail

Some of the chrome detail is worn off the cluster bezel, so I started touching that up with a chrome pen. I didn't get too far though, I'll have to finish the job on a day when my hands aren't so shakey.
You must be registered for see images attach

See that Tailgate Unlock switch? Well, it didn't work. But now it does after fixing a broken wire inside the boot that goes to the hatch. Also, the radio and headlight knobs were super gooey and decomposing. They got replaced with ones that are chrome/simulated wood. They decently match the door panels.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Didn't do much today. I only rolled the windows down and replaced the upper radiator hose. The old hose looked like it was about to explode after I ran it yesterday.

Fun fact, a '77 K10 hose is the exact perfect length and fit.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Makes me wonder if there was a "more" desired or updated, 2bbl factory ALUMINUM intake manifold that could be ripe for teh swapping..you could even paint it rust colored if you like but I kind of see what you mean with that short-bus distributor...lemme look around in the garage next week mebbe I can produce a donation...I got some parts like that layin around.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
.... and replaced the upper radiator hose.

Fun fact, a '77 K10 hose is the exact perfect length and fit.

Of course it does. GM's parts interchange between vehicles was tremendous in the '70s. Every full size sedan and light pickups had the same D52 brake pads. Use the same high output SI-10 alternator on most everything, by just re-clocking it, just to name a couple things. We all know how easy it is to swap engines between different models.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL