73-87 (91) Fleetside Tailgate Mechanism Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here's a few parts and one of my NOS 85-up tailgates.

Attachments

• IMG_2097.jpg
    IMG_2097.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 451

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Kinda hard to see but there is two coats of plastic-dip on the latch ends of the tailgate rods...

Attachments

• IMG_2148.jpg
    IMG_2148.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 253

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Great write up. As far as how eak the metal mechanisms are...at least they are not like late model trucks with plastic pieces and locking tabs. Nothing worse than pulling up on the door or tailgate handle to have them snap in half.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That's true-these are pretty stout but simple still. I'm prepping my 86 K10 for paint and I elected to restore all the gate hardware. The only parts I don't have NOS were the rods themselves-but now they are like new. The handle was my last one however-and they are big $$ from GM!

ruffneckred

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Once you've got the 3 Phillips head screw out, the mechanism is loose and should have the rods connected to it, unless that's the failure you're needing to repair. There may or may not be keepers on the rods. I had one, the other had rusted and broke or fell off. I used pliers to slip the one off the rod.

I didn't have any issue getting the passenger ride unhooked. Because of the cam that the rods connects to, you will have to turn the assembly like pictured below to get access to the left side rod and disconnect it. Just turn the mechanism and slip it back up into the tailgate. Then you can easily get the left to cooperate. Then you can take the whole mechanism out and you should have just the 2 rods laying there as pictured.

Notice I DID NOT have to remove the tailgate band to get access but if your struggling to manipulate the mechanism, it might make it a bit easier giving you a little more room, but really, the rod being connected, you don't get that much space to travel with anyway so it may not be any help anyway.

Hello, hope is not a problem to revive and old thread. The tailgate on my 78 wouldn't latch. Took out the 3 screw, but damned if I can get even the lower (passenger side) rod off, there is just not enough clearance. Seems like the handle doesn't pull up very far too. I believe the "cam" is not rotating. My patience is holding up, but I keep eyeing that torch. Any suggestions?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
We'd rather revive old threads than have a ton of repeats as we do, thanks for searching.

Maybe one of the latches is hung up. It happens. Do you have the tailgate open yet?

ruffneckred

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Sorry I didn't get back to respond promptly. The tail gate would not close. After wrestling it on workbench I jammed chisel in each latch bolt to keep them in. Even then I could not get latch removed. Finally after coming to the conclusion that the center pivot had rotated open and not rotated back, I too a hammer and punch and broke it free. I had been spraying panther piss in there so that likely helped. I was a bit exhausted at this point so I assembled, sprayed, and put it back on.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
anyone have a measurement of how far out the catch sticks out on each side? I mean the part that actually goes in and out, and goes into the square hole on each side of the bed. Mine are barely grabbing.

I've thought about putting washers behind the square hole doohicky to make it work.

Sorry for the lingo.....haven't read enough of it to have the part names memorized lol.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
anyone have a measurement of how far out the catch sticks out on each side? I mean the part that actually goes in and out, and goes into the square hole on each side of the bed. Mine are barely grabbing.

I've thought about putting washers behind the square hole doohicky to make it work.

Sorry for the lingo.....haven't read enough of it to have the part names memorized lol.
If i was at home right now id measure it for ya.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size

I think this is what your talking about this one is about 9/16s

You must be registered for see images attach

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Awesome, thanks. Mine isn't coming out far enough. May just need to spray the crap out of it and pull it out further, then exercise it.

Thanks Again

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
sprayed some silicon lubricant on it then pushed it in and put the tube inside the gaps and sprayed again. Exercised it about 10 times.....fixed. I also ordered an impact driver from amazon last week. Broke the bolts free on the mechanism since I was working on it.

Thanks All

Remo76C15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I need
First tool I'd suggest you have handy before you even start, that will save lots of frustration and stripping your big 3 phillips head screws is a hammer driven impact driver and a BFH. Luckily, I happen to have one that I've had for over 20 years and I think this is the 3rd time I've had to use it.

You can find them for under $20 or a Sears Craftsman is just under $25 but they're almost a must to not strip the screws.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-impact-driver/p-00947641000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
I need one of those.

Remo76C15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
It amazes me how weak the tailgate handles are, but seen to last for a long time. seems it doesn't take much at all to bend the handles, if I wasn't switching to the stepside bed bed I'd be relocating the handle to the inside and get the new handle in there then weld up the outside hole! Lol Great write up!
Agree!

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
It's purpose might even be just to keep the rod from rattling in the tailgate.

You are correct sir.
You can sometimes find these on door latch assemblies as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey