700r4 Jerks Back and Forth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84 S15 Jimmy 4x4

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
S15 Jimmy
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Good evening,

My truck has a 2.8 liter v6 and a 700r4 and has been having problems recently.

This first happened in May when driving around 65-70mph on I-90 climbing the Appalachian mountains. The truck seemed to jerk back and forth like the transmission was disengaging and reengaging a couple of times a second. I slowed down to 40mph and assumed I was pushing the vehicle too hard for what it was, considering that the truck was filled with my college stuff and I was going up a steep incline at high speed.

This problem did not reoccur for several weeks, but eventually, it did at 65 on flat ground. Then, in the following weeks, it got progressively worse, happening at 55mph, then at 35-40mph. The jerking happens at these specific speeds regardless of how much throttle I'm using but always stops once i take my foot off the gas and the Jimmy slows down. I can no longer accelerate past 35-40 unless I'm going downhill, then, once I get past 40, I can accelerate freely until 55mph, and then it's the same deal.

I read some self-proclaimed transmission mechanic online say that it was a bad lockup solenoid, so I replaced that, but it made no difference. I then readjusted the T.V. cable, and it completely resolved the issue for about half a week, but then the problem came back in its entirety. I readjusted the T.V. cable a second time, and it didn't fix it, even temporarily.

On a side note, I had a mechanic flush the system right before my road trip back from college, where the issue originally occurred.

I'm desperate for a resolution to this as I need to drive 1300 miles back out to college in mid to late August, so all feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm also working like 60 hours a week right now, so I may be slow to respond, but thanks anyways.

Adam

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
To me that doesnt sound like a tranny issue... but now that i see that you have an s10 blazer and not a squarebody truck, my confusion on the 2.8L is resolved lol.

Being its an s10 blazer lemme call Vince in for input. Hey @Vbb199 ,what do you think here?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
To me, it sounds like something janky with the TV cable that's now potentially done permanent damage

From the beginning it sounded like the TV cable was out of adjustment and the transmission was slipping due to improper intern pressures which will cause clutch drums to disengage (shutter) and it'll feel like jerking.
Same affect If you run your hydromatic low on fluid.
Anyway,
It was corrected maybe and gave it new life, but possibly it fell out of adjustment again its been hurt badly now?

Usually if the TV is out adjustment too long it'll also burn up the front pump in addition to the clutches as they glaze over and build heat and such

The odor of the fluid should show that.... though it was flushed?

To me it sounds like the front pump is really really weak

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshuOne