700r4 is done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wagonman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
I posted a while back about issues with the shifting on the trans.The culprit was the tv valve sticking causing HARD 1-2 shifts and no O.D. Got that resolved but knew the trans was on its last leg.So I babyied and all seemed well.I took an extended trip back east and parked it @ my buddies.I told him he could use it sparingly.Well no good deed goes unpunished.When he was towing his horse trailer full of concrete block with his Powerstroke Ford he burnt up its trans.Being stranded he decided to Limp the trailer home with my truck.Well a couple of days before my return he calls to tell me that somethings up with my trans.Upon returning and checking it out it has NO foward or reverse,dosent even make a little noise nothing. I am on the fence as to wether I am going to fix it or sell it. I have got a ton of money in this thing.Just looking for some moral support and ideas..Thanks guys...

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Stick a TH350 in it. When mine takes a dive that is my plan. I am going to see if HR can build me a good one and ship it to me, actually I want the TH350C with the lockup-converter.

But yeah, if you don't do a lot of highway traveling that is the way I would go.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
John, John, John....That 700r4 can be just as reliable if the right rebuilder gets ahold of it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
John, John, John....That 700r4 can be just as reliable if the right rebuilder gets ahold of it.

I don't know, all these horror stories got me tossing and turning in my sleep man. :roflbow:

And I had one in my GMT400 that took a ****, it was ugly.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I don't know, all these horror stories got me tossing and turning in my sleep man. :roflbow:

And I had one in my GMT400 that took a ****, it was ugly.

More horror stories, because people baught more vehicles optiond with overdrive, than other transmissions, and then, the dumb asses towed heavy loads in OD... something the manual specifically says not to do.
Just make sure the TV cable is hooked up, and there is plenty of fluid. Hakuna matatta!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I wouldn't say a 700r4 can be AS reliable as a Th350, but it can be reliable with the proper build and right modifications. Pro's can cons to a Th350 and Th350C too. The C loses some strength in the input shaft area and the converter. Nothing that can't be tolerated with controlled or mild abuse, where as a Th350 can tolerate some ****. I've built Th350's you'd blow your motor trying to tear up. I'm hoping someday to be able to do the same with a 700r4, but I just don't see that happening. It is hard to get around some design flaws. For one thing, Th350 have cast iron valve body and pumps, 700r4's are aluminum Valve bodies and pumps. But all of that is whole other discusssion and you'll get 50 different opinions from about 60 builders.
But, what John suggests isn't a bad option, IF he doesn't do alot of highway driving, or has a tall 3.08 gear ratio. Other thing to consider, is he's suggested selling it rather than repair. The Th350 should be able to be done for about half the cost of the 700r4. Maybe a bit more cuz you'd have to buy that adapter to make the Th350 the same length to match your 700r4 or you have to move the crossmember and shorten and lengthen driveshafts, so the spacer is the cheap way out, and then you always have the option to go back to 700r4 too. I'd fix it.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
HotRod, how well does the 700 hold up with the TCI valve body? It runs a constnat pressure and avoids the problems of a misadjusted TV.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I wouldn't say a 700r4 can be AS reliable as a Th350, but it can be reliable with the proper build and right modifications. Pro's can cons to a Th350 and Th350C too. The C loses some strength in the input shaft area and the converter. Nothing that can't be tolerated with controlled or mild abuse, where as a Th350 can tolerate some ****. I've built Th350's you'd blow your motor trying to tear up. I'm hoping someday to be able to do the same with a 700r4, but I just don't see that happening. It is hard to get around some design flaws. For one thing, Th350 have cast iron valve body and pumps, 700r4's are aluminum Valve bodies and pumps. But all of that is whole other discusssion and you'll get 50 different opinions from about 60 builders.
But, what John suggests isn't a bad option, IF he doesn't do alot of highway driving, or has a tall 3.08 gear ratio. Other thing to consider, is he's suggested selling it rather than repair. The Th350 should be able to be done for about half the cost of the 700r4. Maybe a bit more cuz you'd have to buy that adapter to make the Th350 the same length to match your 700r4 or you have to move the crossmember and shorten and lengthen driveshafts, so the spacer is the cheap way out, and then you always have the option to go back to 700r4 too. I'd fix it.
For what 89s does with his truck, its fine, now, C4 on the other hand....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
HotRod, how well does the 700 hold up with the TCI valve body? It runs a constnat pressure and avoids the problems of a misadjusted TV.

I've heard of people having problems with TCI Valve bodies and transmissions, PATC transmissions and Monster transmissions in the 700r4. Do I think they are bad builds? NO. I believe what happens is people get one of the better built transmisisons that's been beefed up, now they think it's as bullet proof as a Th400 and they are hard and rough on the transmissions and tear them up.
The constant pressure would seem to be a good idea. It's true, many 700r4's are tore up prematurely because of improper TV cable adjustment that regulates fluid pressure along with it's other jobs. Hopefully in the TCI VB, other worn vavle bores are corrected too. Like drilled out and sleeved or bushed.
Being aluminum those valve bores can wear and then valves can''t hold the pressure they need to, or valves won't move far enough. So then someone finds burnt clutches or broke parts in the main tunnel and think they fixed the trasn, not realizing what caused that problem in the main tunnel was a bad valve bore in the valve body, so guess what they just did? They built a transmission that will have the exact same faliure in short order because they didn't address the CAUSE of the damage. They just fixed the damage. I'd hope that TCI knows whet they are doing and checked all the vavle bores, fixed as needed and made some modifications to fix the problems and would be a good choice. Many times it's best to leave the valve body work to someone else. The bore reamer tools alone are expensive.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
For what 89s does with his truck, its fine, now, C4 on the other hand....

For 89S yes. And he's been using OD for towing too, so he's been lucky.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
For 89S yes. And he's been using OD for towing too, so he's been lucky.
Why, why, WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME!!!!! :Sumo: :flipthebird::shitsweak::Violin::argue::lazer::beatdeadhorse5::angry94::throw::mad3::favorites68::chair::sad72::sad72::sad72:

:roflbow:

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
HR, I thought the earlier model 700's had cast iron valve bodies also? Im sure I saw a few when I was at Coleman-Taylor.

To the OP, Id keep the truck. Fix it. Thats one of my problems. Stuff breaks after I dump money into somethin else and I get aggravated and sell it. Later I wish I woulda kept it. Id keep it. Stick a TH350 in there with an HD stall. Boss Hogg convertors are fair priced but they wont hold alot of hp from what Ive heard. I have one Im stickin in there when I build my TH350. Its a 2600-2800 stall.

wagonman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Well I will keep it and fix as time and $$ are available.I pulled the plates and cancelled insurance.Found a 92 700 trans with 58K on it.Should be a good builder.The truck is parked @ my friends ranch and I could not see fixing it it and letting him tear more stuff up.Back to my gypsy travelling,goodby Reno Hello N.Y.City.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well I will keep it and fix as time and $$ are available.I pulled the plates and cancelled insurance.Found a 92 700 trans with 58K on it.Should be a good builder.The truck is parked @ my friends ranch and I could not see fixing it it and letting him tear more stuff up.Back to my gypsy travelling,goodby Reno Hello N.Y.City.

Is that 92 with only 58K not a runner? Just do that swap. 92 is certainly one of the better 700r4's.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

Forum statistics

Threads