6.2 For A Daily Driver? What Are The Downsides?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Oh no man,ask any question you want it doesn't really bother me it's just some are so hard to answer. What's easy for me may be difficulty for you and what's easy for you maybe difficult to me. We had a man's car in the shop once we gave his estimate and diagnoses,he asked me if this was something he could do himself. My answer was I do not know I do not know your capabilities.He looked at me and said I'm a doctor I'm not stupid. He maybe a fine doctor but that doesn't mean he can fix his own car.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've had both 6.2NA's and 6.5TD's, I thought of them like "restrictor plate racing", plan your pass plus add 300 yards and use the downhills to your advantage. I still have have a '93 with mechanical injection and a 4L80E that goes ok, just can't be in a hurry.

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
@Ricko1966 I'm just glad there's someone older than me who has been there down that so I hopefully won't make the same avoidable mistakes lol

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Again, anyone here who knows more about electrics than me, is there any clues here that what tell why the fuse panel fried?
You must be registered for see images attach

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
It says it doesn't run,
You can boot-leg the glow plugs and injector pump and get it running without the fuse box. Just make certain not to leave the glow plugs straight wired or they'll swell in the precombustion chamber and be a chore to remove. Good luck and don't be scared to obtain the ole oil burner. It looks like a great foundation by your pic.

Strickland

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I think I'm getting the diesel bug, and Strickland isn't helping lol

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Again, anyone here who knows more about electrics than me, is there any clues here that what tell why the fuse panel fried?
You must be registered for see images attach
Nothing apparently wrong to me...
All you need is 12v to the IP and to the starter to run it.

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So what, stuff like lights and gauges won't work but it'll still run fine? That's not too bad...

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
We had 8 military pickups with 6.2's donated to us at Denali National Park in the early 2000's. They all had insulated boxes in back with diesel heaters to keep the guys warm in back, 24V, capable of sharing coolant and electrical, you could plug them all in to one another, the whole nine yards, arctic equipped. They were great trucks, all 1985 models, 1 ton I believe. We kept one for a shop truck and it was awesome! Slow but simple and reliable. The 24V came in handy for jump starting heavy equipment. We never drove them on pavement, just 90 miles of dirt roads. They were very reliable. The only thing negative that I remember was that they burned up glow plugs alot.
We kept 4 trucks for the fleet and 4 for parts.

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That's awesome, wish I was born 2 or 3 decades earlier, coulda gotten in on the decommissioned CUCV craze...

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Nothing apparently wrong to me...
All you need is 12v to the IP and to the starter to run it.
Sorry for asking what is an IP? This is why I'm concerned in the first place getting into a project like this, I have a lot of passion, and VERY little experience.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
IP = Instrument Panel

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Being as close to Ft. BRAGG as I am, I know that as soon as one of the CUCV's quit, they are parts. The Delta Force & others use them for target practice on the range for tanks.

Strickland

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
Being as close to Ft. BRAGG as I am, I know that as soon as one of the CUCV's quit, they are parts. The Delta Force & others use them for target practice on the range for tanks.

Strickland
That is really sad. I just picked up an '86 and it is crazy solid. At almost 40 years old, there is no rust. Everywhere there is a void, it was sprayed from I assume the factory? There are little plugs in doors jams and underside of cab and corners. Even the doors were sprayed internally with the panels removed. It would take a serious projectile to destroy them. Weather has hardly left a mark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe