6.2 For A Daily Driver? What Are The Downsides?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've made a few posts here, and maybe you can see I'm REALLY getting into pre-91 suburban's. Now I've in recent months stumbled across the world of the diesel suburban, and as I see its a match made in heaven by God Himself.

So what are the major disadvantages of driving one daily? I hear people rip on the 6.2 regularly, but from the research I've done I've found very little wrong with them. Its a low powered, early gen diesel, its not a Duramax or Cummins made for pulling, its made for fuel efficiency, which I think is awesome for using daily. Thoughts? What can you say to dissuade me from a 6.2 'burb?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
People bad mouth 6.2s yep they are no powerhouse,but they will pull and do more than I can ask of mine and give great milage doing it. I've never had a v8 anything that compares in milage. Also though I have the luxury of its not a daily it's a when I need a truck,damn I wish I hadn't gotten into this now as a truck it's great as a daily too and from work,I wouldn't like its too slow.

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What issues should I expect driving one regularly? Can you speak to that? I know if your willing to put in the work, you can drive them as cheap as $0.80 a gallon, if you take the time to find used oils doing a mix and doing all the filtering stuff, though at the cost of wearing some engine components.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
I drove my CUCV that was lifted with 37's and it would net 15mpg wide open on the interstate (60mph at most). Driving 55 on normal roads it would net 20mpg if I didn't stop & start. I would not seek out a 6.2 for a daily and would only use one if I had it already and it were in good operating condition. The radiator, oil cooler lines, glow plugs, fuel filter, batteries and other components really add to the cost of diesel operation. With that said, I am currently building another K10 truck JUST because I have an inventory of parts to do it with, plus I'm in the project for cheap so far. With the 3.08 & OD trans in the k10 I should be able to get close to 30mpg when out on the 55mph roads. We'll see soon.

Strickland

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Very Interesting. If I where willing to maintain/deal with the cooler lines, glow plugs, fuel filter, etc, is there anything else? Good luck your your awesome project, I can only dream of doing that stuff.

BKING33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1987, 1989
Truck Model
K30, Suburban
Engine Size
6.2, 6.2 turbo
I have an 89 Burb 3/4-ton 2wd that I drive daily. It has a turbo and a NV4500 5 speed trans.
I'm getting 19-20 mpg. They are slugs in stock form.

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Maybe this is a stupid question, but how much does it cost on average to fit a 6.2 with a turbo, and for that matter rebuild or replace with a less anemic transmission? probably in the 3 to 5,000s?

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Easy to add a turbo to a 6.2. Just find a 6.5 with a busted crank and take all the turbo stuff and put it on.

If a good 6.2 or 6.5 came up for sale in my area I wouldn't think twice on putting it in my suburban. I like them. Gutless wonders but you can make them alot better with some simple mods.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
I like them.
I have the 6.5 turbo, manifolds and and other stuff for the conversion on this 82. It's been sitting since 95 so I'm getting it running first and then onto the turbo setup. I like the ole Detroits too but it's getting very difficult to find cheap ones to replace the bad ones. Now some folks are gonna fire off and say there are no good ones...

Strickland

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I have the 6.5 turbo, manifolds and and other stuff for the conversion on this 82. It's been sitting since 95 so I'm getting it running first and then onto the turbo setup. I like the ole Detroits too but it's getting very difficult to find cheap ones to replace the bad ones. Now some folks are gonna fire off and say there are no good ones...

Strickland
I haven't see one posted for sale in a year at least. 1000 bucks for a 6.2 unknown kms was last one I've seen.

@Thesiger if you can find one I would do it. Keep the boost under 15 psi and don't over work it and there great motors. Easy to work on aswell.

That Willomet guy on utube has/had on a nice done up suburban. He's building a new one but hasn't updated in quite some time.

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Good information, Thanks guys! One more question, what price rages should I look for to know I'm not being price gouged for a complete 6.2 running or non-running suburban? In my area (rust belt) Seems like they're $2,500 $5,000 depending on rust. Is this reasonable?

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I haven't see one posted for sale in a year at least. 1000 bucks for a 6.2 unknown kms was last one I've seen.

@Thesiger if you can find one I would do it. Keep the boost under 15 psi and don't over work it and there great motors. Easy to work on aswell.

That Willomet guy on utube has/had on a nice done up suburban. He's building a new one but hasn't updated in quite some time.
Thats Dave from CK5.com
He's done an amazing job with it. His Dad bought it new way back. He just recently put a new Optimizer 6.5 in it.

I have a 6.2 diesel burb. Like they day, it's no powerhouse. Finally accumulated parts for a Banks Sidewinder install. Lost the damn turbo manifold when we moved some years back.
3/4 ton burb 2wd with a th400 and 3.73s, got 17 mph highway with it.

618Syndicate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Duramax
I hate 6.2's and their impotent progeny, the 6.5. I had a 6.5, and a 6.2 with 6.5 heads and turbo. Bad experiences with both soured me on diesels in general.
That said, they have fans and decent support, and if you want good mileage, and are willing to accept that you are not ever going to have anywhere near modern diesel power, they have their place. Just not in anything I own.

618Syndicate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Duramax
Only thing I'll add is to suggest you go drive one before you buy. The lack of power is staggering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat