6.2 For A Daily Driver? What Are The Downsides?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
It's no big block, but set up properly they're not as anemic as all that. They do have some weaknesses, it depends on the vintage. Some of the earlier ones were prone to block cracking. However, the later editions were a little stouter.

The J engines were the better option. The big difference was no EGR, and a different pump calibration. So you can retune one if you want to put a few $$$ into them.

Speaking of pumps, the timing advances wear out by the 100K mile mark. That tends to make them doggy.

Definitely agree you should try to drive them just to understand what you can expect. One thing I will state; You're not going to find a better sounding diesel.

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey, also How hard is it replacing electricals in older Chevy diesels? The one I'm looking at says "Electrical issues fried the fuse box" Is that a sign of deeper issues? or a simple day of tinkering?

BTW, The vehicle in question, former Montana truck, 1990 Chevy 2500 4x4 with the 6.2 in it.

You must be registered for see images attach

618Syndicate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Duramax
Better sounding? I disagree completely. There's no better diesel sound than a 2-stroke Detroit, imho.
Better? Not sure about that.
Different? Yes.
Louder? Most definitely.

Old timers used to say that the way to get ready to drive a truck with a Detroit in it was to slam the door on your fingers before you started it. That way you wouldn't notice your head hurting...

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Better sounding? I disagree completely. There's no better diesel sound than a 2-stroke Detroit, imho.

I suppose that's true. But GM didn't put them in these trucks now, did they?

And like 618 said, great in small doses.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Hey, also How hard is it replacing electricals in older Chevy diesels? The one I'm looking at says "Electrical issues fried the fuse box" Is that a sign of deeper issues? or a simple day of tinkering?

BTW, The vehicle in question, former Montana truck, 1990 Chevy 2500 4x4 with the 6.2 in it.

I don't think replacing the fuse block is a simple day job. But I can't say I've ever done it. That would concern me a lot.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I will agree with what everyone has said. The 6.2 6.5 have there corks, but are very dependent and reliable if you want to put to time, money, and drive them respectfully.

Not power houses by no means and I think that's why the 6.2 6.5 get there bad name cause people tried to make them fast but they are just not. Period. Keep them in there power band and add a little and they will do just fine. And once again respect them.

Great sounding even though it sound like something is coming out of the block compared to newer stuff.
Shoot even the idi 7.3 sound pretty peachy to me when they come in the shop or in a parking lot. I miss them in the combines.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size

Don't be afraid of electrical issues. Everything can be solved very easily with relays or a simple wiring diagram. Does it run and good is the biggest thing.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

Man I hate questions like this,how hard is this or that. NBD to me and a lot of others but some people would sell the truck because it's beyond their skill set. An old burb with a diesel is a lot simpler than anything modern. Go look under the hood of your wife or girlfriends car can you imagine undoing every wire from the grill to the firewall and being able to put them all back where they belong? If so this will be nbd.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
"Electrical issues fried the fuse box"
I had to replace the box in my '85 CUCV a few years back. They have a 40amp fuse in the box for black-out lighting system. This fuse would build excessive resistance and do it quickly, resulting in melting the fuse box. I was able to cut a box from a regular C10 and then re-spade it for what I needed. Unfortunately it had some fuses not labeled correctly because it was a CUCV; you shouldn't have that problem with your Sub.

Strickland

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Don't be afraid of electrical issues. Everything can be solved very easily with relays or a simple wiring diagram. Does it run and good is the biggest thing.
It says it doesn't run, that's why I was concerned that the issue maybe deeper than the fuse box? The person listing stated that it ran great before the box fried, take that for what its worth. I have not looked at the truck in person, even not being a mechanic, I'm sure I could clear a lot of misconceptions actually getting hands on.

@Ricko1966 Sorry rick, these are the dumb questions you'll have to put up with from a new blood.

@Strick yeah I was wondering if it could be as simple as some "doomoss" as a friend calls them, sticking a massive fuse in the box. I guess if that where the case, what else would it have wrecked down the line? I can try to maybe find a pic they took of the box...

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here, got a pic, anything stand out to any of you as strange? Also found out from the seller that is has a TH400 trans and was fitted for pulling my a mechanic, unknown gears.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rowdy_80