455 Olds not lining up well in 76 GMC crew....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
@cstew47 I too love the Oldsmobile's! Their engines have such a distinct sound. Even my 80 Olds 2-door 88 I used to own with the 307 & dual exhaust had a grumble of its own. A better grumble after I threw in a rebuilt 350 Olds Rocket.

I found this truck with no engine, and I had this 455 yanked out of my 51 Ford F1 (flathead going back in that), so I figured why not have some fun and make people scratch their heads with this one...a few of us on here scratched out heads too because we've not seen a dually truck with regular steel rims all around...

Here is the build thread with more info;
https://www.gmsquarebody.com/thread...-dually-gotta-get-it-on-the-road-again.29806/

@JeffK10America I hear you there my friend! I was not at all surprised when this did not work, I expected it. Yes, I could mate the trans to the engine & go from there too, might be the best bet as I prefer not to be cutting driveshafts & relocating the trans mount either.

The 455 used to be in my 51 truck as I mentioned above, that was so simple to make mounts for though, the entire front clip was off the truck however and made life easy at that point :D

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
I've done offset motor mount plates before...either on the block or on the crossmember using 1/2" plate steel. Have to watch out for exhaust manifold placement though when you do that.

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
@cstew47 I too love the Oldsmobile's! Their engines have such a distinct sound. Even my 80 Olds 2-door 88 I used to own with the 307 & dual exhaust had a grumble of its own. A better grumble after I threw in a rebuilt 350 Olds Rocket.

I found this truck with no engine, and I had this 455 yanked out of my 51 Ford F1 (flathead going back in that), so I figured why not have some fun and make people scratch their heads with this one...a few of us on here scratched out heads too because we've not seen a dually truck with regular steel rims all around...

Here is the build thread with more info;
https://www.gmsquarebody.com/thread...-dually-gotta-get-it-on-the-road-again.29806/

@JeffK10America I hear you there my friend! I was not at all surprised when this did not work, I expected it. Yes, I could mate the trans to the engine & go from there too, might be the best bet as I prefer not to be cutting driveshafts & relocating the trans mount either.

The 455 used to be in my 51 truck as I mentioned above, that was so simple to make mounts for though, the entire front clip was off the truck however and made life easy at that point :D[/QUOTE

The last 455 project that I did was my 37n olds restorod. I put an Offy dual four barrel setup on it and mated it to a 700r4. About 450hp and 500 TQ. Loved that car.

You must be registered for see images attach

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You can't move the cross member back because the lower A arm is attached to it, well as far back as it looks like it needs to go. Is the 455 engine mount other half, what does it look like and could you mod it somehow to fit the cross member? Or what we see in the photo is the mount on the engine all there is to the mount? They aren't clam shell like a Chevy mount?

Yeah, that's what I was wondering about was what does it look like back there where the trans mount would need to be. What's lining up back there to? You may have more problem than just the engine mount. Where's @Matt69olds? He might have some ideas about fitment!

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@cstew47,

Is that your car?? Super boss, man! I'm really starting to like four doors than all the two door hot rods. I'm starting to really groove on '35-'37 anything. By your name, is this a "47"? I have no idea about old cars of some years. It looks like a '40's car. A friend of mine had a '48 Chevy. What a boat!! I bet you could get a lot of people in that car of yours.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
@Raider L I bought these frame to engine mounts from Summit, maybe I should've gone with a clamshell style??...

I think as another person mentioned I will just get the mounts off the engine, bolt up the trans and then see what I have to work with.

I also like the idea that @75Monza threw out there and use some plate steel, which I could also do.

Great input guys, thank you much!!!!

Love the Olds @cstew47 !!!!! Looks kinda like the one from A Christmas Story :cool:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well I e seen a 472 Cadillac engine trans combo put in a C10 so I know it’s possible!
Not my show, but I would suggest matting trans to engine . Then set into place and build brackets accordingly.
You can do anything you set your mind to do! I put a 455 in a Buick Regal . Custom motor mounts. Have fun with that . Will be a killer set up!

That's a very good suggestion, mount the engine and trans together and test fit them as a whole.

You can't move the cross member back because the lower A arm is attached to it, well as far back as it looks like it needs to go. Is the 455 engine mount other half, what does it look like and could you mod it somehow to fit the cross member? Or what we see in the photo is the mount on the engine all there is to the mount? They aren't clam shell like a Chevy mount?

Yeah, that's what I was wondering about was what does it look like back there where the trans mount would need to be. What's lining up back there to? You may have more problem than just the engine mount. Where's @Matt69olds? He might have some ideas about fitment!

Right, the engine crossmember itself cannot be moved because it has the suspension pickup points. But, the top brackets that the engine sits on (from top of rail down to crossmember) can be modified and moved forward or backward.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
On using a BOP trans, wasn’t the reason someome suggested because of the shape of the bell housing and then also not needing an adapter? Or were you dead set on keeping the trans where it is so you actually are preferring it go forward more engine wise?

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
@Raider L I bought these frame to engine mounts from Summit, maybe I should've gone with a clamshell style??...

I think as another person mentioned I will just get the mounts off the engine, bolt up the trans and then see what I have to work with.

I also like the idea that @75Monza threw out there and use some plate steel, which I could also do.

Great input guys, thank you much!!!!

Love the Olds @cstew47 !!!!! Looks kinda like the one from A Christmas Story :cool:

Good luck with the project. Yes, that Olds was a unique car. Besides the 455 and the 700r4, It had a rack and pinion setup and disks all around. That was a fun car to drive.

Magna86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Magna86
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Chevy 350
You need to run trans am 403 motor mount as this allows you to use the clamshell Chevy mounts. Not sure if the factory location is correct but you may need to move the mounts on crossmember forward or back to get right spot.

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
@cstew47,

Is that your car?? Super boss, man! I'm really starting to like four doors than all the two door hot rods. I'm starting to really groove on '35-'37 anything. By your name, is this a "47"? I have no idea about old cars of some years. It looks like a '40's car. A friend of mine had a '48 Chevy. What a boat!! I bet you could get a lot of people in that car of yours.

Yeah that was mine. It was a 1937. The 47 in my screen name is my birth year. When I bought the car there were some people that said it was not a good project. At that time coupes were the hot thing. When I got done with the customizing, it was a great restorod. And yes, there was a lot of interior space. The back seat was almost limo size. My son used it for his wedding ceremony.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I’m going to my dads house with camera and measuring tape later today. While cuts been almost 25 years since I did the 455 from 350 diesel swap, I KNOW I used the factory Diesel engine frame mounts, and almost positive I used the factory 350 Olds Diesel engine mounts.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
I’m going to my dads house with camera and measuring tape later today. While cuts been almost 25 years since I did the 455 from 350 diesel swap, I KNOW I used the factory Diesel engine frame mounts, and almost positive I used the factory 350 Olds Diesel engine mounts.

That would be correct, and what I have been searching for is the 350 Olds Diesel mounts that were in the GM trucks, 78 to 82 or something?? Anyhow, it would have been a drop in. Granted with my adapter plate I may have had to make a minor tweak such as drilling holes in a different spot, but not a big deal.

@AuroraGirl yes I did prefer just to leave the TH400 in the truck that is there and using the adapter plate, I don't mind the engine sitting a little bit forward. Not to mention my Olds 400 trans is shot, and a long shaft so I would have to do a bunch of trans work & tail swap to make it work, so I said screw it, I will use what is in there.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds