1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

76 GMC Crew, Long Box, Dually...Gotta get it on the road again!!

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C/R 20 2500 C/R 30 3500' started by OldBlueDually, Jun 16, 2020.

1. OldBlueDually

OldBlueDually Full Access Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Hi everyone, my name is Justin from Minnesota. A couple weeks back I picked up this odd beauty. I saw an add pop up and saw the poor sweetheart all lonely sitting in the woods, and I had to have it. Being from MN, I knew it would have rust....so I thought, I really don't care if it does, I have steel and know how to weld!!

I have wanted one for years, I had a chance to get a BEAUTIFUL 79 Chevy crew, dually, long box 3+3, but I did not have the cash for it at the time (around $3k) and when you got a family of 6 you take care of them first before toys! I did test drive it though, that had to have been the poorest excuse for a 454 I ever put my foot into. What a dog. I could have done some dang good tuning to it though, but I passed on the truck. I kicked myself after it sold to someone else.

Well, as the Beach Boys song "409" goes, I saved my pennies, and I saved my dimes. This 76 fit the bill when it popped up, and it stated "no engine" which really got me excited because I like my 455 Olds more than a 454 anyhow!! (No offense guys, I still like the BBC's too!).

So, I picked it up, and she has been in my shop for a few weeks now. I have stripped the entire interior, power washed seats, dash components, vents, sanitized everything mentioned, painted some vent doors, took off running boards, greased the whole thing where zerks are located, checked rotors, brakes, drums, and now I am going to finish tonight the patch work on the floor boards.

Ya know what though, words are boring, I am more of a "show me some pictures" kinda guy!!!

-Shoulda got a pic of it on the trailer, but here is a rear view shot.
    76GMC-1.jpeg

-Here it is unloaded and in the garage after a power wash
    76GMC-3.jpg
    76GMC-4.jpg

-Some interior shots before it came out
    Interior-1.jpg
    Interior-2.jpg

85squaredC10, Catbox and DoubleDingo like this.
  2. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Crap, I forgot the original picture!!! Here it is in the woods, the poor thing!
    76 in woods.PNG

Interior coming out, I found some mice, and this thing fricken stunk like....well, stuff...
    Remove interior-1.jpg

Dash coming out, what a mess.....damned mice.
    Dash-1.jpg
    Dash-2.jpg

There was a skeleton on the left side of this pic, buried, and I think this was his buddy coming to save him. Don't think that went as planned....
    Dash-3.jpg

85squaredC10 and DoubleDingo like this.
  3. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    So now we move on to getting all the dash vents out, dashboard removed...blah blah blah...

LOT's of shop vac time during all of this!!!!
    Dash-5.jpg

Here is the interior, it is now nice & clean!!! This picture shows it dirty. Again, lots of shop vac on this....
    Interior-3.jpg

I power washed the crap out of this stuff......now you would never know it was this bad. Its all cleaned up, and looks damned near new. Heck, I even painted up the little levers/bars/pivots on it too. Everything works how it should.
    Dash-4.jpg

The seats got the garden hose & dawn dish soap taken to them (hold dish soap above spray nozzle & foamed the crap out of the seats), then I let them sit for 5 minutes, fired up the pressure washer and got them cleaned right up!

Seat furthest away has been power washed, seat nearest has not yet.
    Seats-before-after.jpg
    Seat-after.jpg

4. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Now I have moved on to the front floorboards. One of two things....I don't want my wife to throw firecrackers out the rust holes of this while we cruise, and I don't want her to fall out! When I first cut out that metal I said to her she was going to be pedaling this hog around.....:anitoof:

Here are the holes, one near transmission hump too.
    Pass side holes.jpg

And its patched up. I am bending ALL of this metal with a pair of pliers, channel locks, small hammer, big hammer, 1" square steel tube, and the rear bumper on this beast, it's going quite well.

Pass side welded.jpg

Drivers side....just started this on Sunday afternoon.
    Drivers side cut out.jpg

I have 2 small patches left to do tonight.
    Drivers side welded.jpg

85squaredC10 and DoubleDingo like this.
  5. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    So, most of my parts have arrived to get this baby back together. I am awaiting for my carpet, and suspension lowering kit. Engine parts are all here including my adapter plate to the TH400 trans. It is a work in progress, but my goal is right now to have it on the road in August!!!

Lucky for me, the brake hardware (rotors, pads, springs, tubing/hoses, calipers) are like new. It also has 3" dual exhaust on it, which I will have to cut & dump out before the rear tires. I also plan to put a pair of cutouts in the exhaust (cable operated) to dump a set of pipes just behind the front tires, ya know, for car shows/cruises, or just to make some noise whenever I want :gr_grin:

Here is the Olds engine that will be going into it!!! :favorites37:

Olds 455-2.jpg

I am trying to hide from my wife, and she took my picture....

Goofing off.jpg

6. Goldie Driver

Goldie Driver Full Access Member

First Name:
    Britt
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    GMC K1500 Suburban
    Engine Size:

Kilroy !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Thats a good one Goldie!!!!!

Well, here is the drivers side patches done, in my post #4 above you can see where it was, and where it is as of last night. Tonight I have to do about a 50 cent piece sized patch on the drivers side rear door rocker. After that is done, I will clean up the welds, finish all seams, then use rust converter on everything that needs it.

Drivers side welded-2.jpg

8. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Well I FINALLY have the welding done, and I have two coats of the rust converter on those spots on the floor pans. Now I have to brush on some rustoleum paint in those areas to prepare it for doing some more sealing (using OSI quad max, awesome stuff), and then I will use my degreaser/wax remover (DX330, best stuff out there!) to prep the interior for the insulation I just ordered.

While waiting for the rust converter to cure/dry I wanted to keep working so I removed shocks, and the dual exhaust out the back (its new, 3" with Smitty mufflers), and it actually came apart really nice, I did NOT have to do any cutting!!!!! So now I will run the exhaust just in front of the rear tires. Probably make a shield for the gas tanks if I need to.

Not sure what Smitty mufflers sound like, anyone have any experience with them? I would like to put on Flowmaster super 44's because I just love that tone, but if the Smitty mufflers sound nice I just may leave them on.

I also have to reinstall all dash vent components, do some wiring work, then hopefully I can order carpet soon, the color I want is on backorder, so I have to wait a bit on that.

In a few years when I do a full tear down of the truck for paint I will replace the inner/outer rockers, cab corners....and anything else that has rusted out. For now, I just want this baby on the road and have some fun with it!!!

Drivers side rust convert.JPG

Pass side rust convert.JPG

Dual 3 inch exhaust.JPG

Big Chip likes this.
  9. DoubleDingo

DoubleDingo Summer Is Near, Hot Temps Are Already Here

First Name:
    Shane
    Truck Year:
    1981, 1965
    Truck Model:
    81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
    Engine Size:
    Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
    Moving right along. Nice work!

10. Catbox

Catbox Full Access Member

First Name:
    Peter
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20 Silverado Camper Special
    Engine Size:
    Looks like a fun project for sure!

11. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Thanks guys, I am trying to keep it moving along as best I can!! It has been a fun project, and I hope it stays that way!

Working from home here lately so I took advantage of my lunch hour!! The kiddo's (girls, 6 and 9 y.o.) heard I was going to paint the floors where the rust converter was, so they got all excited and said "daddy, daddy can we pleeeeaaaasse paint!!!" Well heck yeah I said!!!

So over the lunch hour I did a small paint line around everything and said "paint inside of here". Yeah its white, but I really don't care as I am only doing it to protect it and it will all be covered up anyhow!

The kids had fun painting, and as for the few small holes I decided not to cut out & weld up I got another trick up my sleeve for that stuff to seal up (cut same steel used for welding, and use the OSI adhesive on it, slap it on and call it good) so nothing will come into the cab, and it will hold until I do a full tear down a few years from now.

Now, had I been doing a full restoration, I would never, ever do anything like the above. It would be replaced & fully welded up, primed and painted the correct color. Since I want to get it on the road, this will suffice just fine. Not to mention I "had" a 4 car shop, now I think it is a 2 car with this massive truck sitting in there!

More work to be done tonight too.

Oh, and my lowering kit arrived over the lunch hour!!!!! Its the Switch Suspension 6/8 kit!!

Front floor painted.JPG

Rear floor painted.JPG

Lowering kit arrived.JPG

Big Chip likes this.
  12. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Got the interior sheetmetal stuff done tonight, siliconed up the spots that needed it. Then while that was curing I decided to go ahead and start taking out the rearend. I did not even have to swear at it!!!

What made me nervous was this massive truck having 4 jackstands on the frame and cutting the u-bolts from the axle. I had the floor jack under the axle with pressure against the springs, but still having those thing bang apart when cutting them made me jump a little, one of them I cut jumped up and hit the box and landed on my foot, so that was my entertainment for the night.

Rearend out.JPG

13. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Finally got to work on more of the rearend of the truck! Unfortunately I found many busted leafs, so I ordered new springs for it.

I made up a cardboard template of the c-notch lowering kit which worked out nice because the welds are good size on those c-notches, then I placed that cardboard on the frame and traced where I had to cut. I used the sawzall to cut my vertical seams, used my die grinder cutting wheel to cut horizontal seams.

The kit has no instructions, so I hope I am doing it right! Once I get the rearend back in it, I will lay down a few beads of weld too on those c-notches.

The rear leaf springs were taken off, what a pain until I hooked up the the air chisel/hammer to it....then the rear bolts came out!....and went flying!

Template traced.JPG

Template cutout.JPG

C-notch installed.JPG

New springs on.JPG

Big Chip likes this.
  14. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Full Access Member

First Name:
    Shawn
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 82 2WD Blazer
    Engine Size:
    454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
    Not trying to be a smart ass, or anything. Doesn't that kind of C notch belong on the inside of the frame? That's what the small lip is for, to stick threw the frame, and give you a little valley to weld in. I used a similar kind years ago on a 85 short bed, and that's what I did on a suggestion from a guy that has lowered my trucks than I can count. It may very well work like that, and be fine. Just passing on some of my knowledge.

15. Craig 85

Craig 85 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Craig
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K30 SRW
    Engine Size:
    454/TH-400/NP205
    I kind of have some concerns too after the previous comment. Back in the early 2000's I saw a 90-99 dually bend right at the C-notch. I looked up some other C-notch kits and noticed most have some type of plate that rolls over the top or bottom of the frame. Here's a picture of a Western Chassis version for your truck.

Since your plates are a little smaller and have less bolts, maybe you my want to add a plate or L channel to the inside of the frame to stiffen it a bit.

[​IMG]