400 SBC from a RV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacknife

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-25
Engine Size
Anyone know of anything special or different from a 400 sbc that came factory in a motor home compared to a pickup or such?
I picked up a late 79 C30 today that is pretty rough, but has a 400 small block in it that runs great. I was told by a pretty reliable source that the engine had went down in the truck a few years ago, that was replaced with this 400. They new the 400 engine came out of a 74 motor home with extrmely low miles. I got it by way of county auction with little to no detail.
It does have 400 balancer, extra long dipstick & oil fill tube, industrial type intake, older style Q-Jet with heat spring mounted to manifold. Couldn't get under truck far enough to look for extra freeze plug, will look tomorrow. I will try and look for # as well.
Just curious if anyone on here new anything about small blocks in RV's & such.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They are the same, just sometimes a few different external parts.

Jacknife

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-25
Engine Size
Yeah, thats about what I figured. Checked it out a little more today, actually 75 model 2 bolt. Still a good find in my neck of the woods either way.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
From what I've been told, the 4-bolt blocks are prone to cracking. So if you ask me, the 2-bolt is a good thing. And if it's really needed, you can upgrade to aftermarket splayed 4-bolt main caps.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The funny thing is RVs are the absolute best source for motors. The reason being is that they rarely have high mileage especially the older ones.

I was watching Roadkill with Freiburger and they took an old motorhome and pulled a big block out of it for his charger.

Jacknife

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-25
Engine Size
From what I've been told, the 4-bolt blocks are prone to cracking. So if you ask me, the 2-bolt is a good thing. And if it's really needed, you can upgrade to aftermarket splayed 4-bolt main caps.

Yes, I was glad to see it was two bolt. I think the four bolts where out of production by 75 anyway.

Jacknife

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-25
Engine Size
The funny thing is RVs are the absolute best source for motors. The reason being is that they rarely have high mileage especially the older ones.

I was watching Roadkill with Freiburger and they took an old motorhome and pulled a big block out of it for his charger.

Yeah I know where one is been parked out for years, he says that it has a Dodge 440 wedge with about 20,000 mile. He offered me the engine for 300 but I don't need it or have room to store it. Said he was going to haul the whole thing off for srape last year if he didn't sell it. I told several Mopar guys about it but last I knew it was still sitting there.

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
Yeah I know where one is been parked out for years, he says that it has a Dodge 440 wedge with about 20,000 mile. He offered me the engine for 300 but I don't need it or have room to store it. Said he was going to haul the whole thing off for srape last year if he didn't sell it. I told several Mopar guys about it but last I knew it was still sitting there.

I don't know what they're thinking, must be plenty of 20,000 mile,( or less ), 440's laying around for $300 or less !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paz4x4