4 speed saginaw for 60$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeoverland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250/I6
Hello all! I ran across a post on fb marketplace for a 4 speed saginaw for 60$ that includes a bellhousing and flexplate. The numbers on this transmission come back to a vega transmission. Would I really gain anything if I replace my 3 speed saginaw with a 4 speed? I have to pull the transmission to replace a noisy throw out bearing which is going to involve me replacing the flywheel, starter, and entire clutch assembly because..... why not I'm already pulling the transmission and putting in a new clutch, starter and flywheel just means that all of the parts are new and I shouldn't have to worry about the parts until the truck blows up.

thanks in advance

Mike Overland
Owner of the 1981 C10 known as "the basket case"

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Yes - you would gain one gear.

(!)

Plus the "fun factor".

I'd do it. The Saginaw is a sweet little trans. You'd have to do something for a shifter, assuming you are now column shifted. Hurst makes a number of (what used to be) inexpensive floor stick shifts.

There are a bunch of different available first gear ratios, so it would be interesting to know the gear in this particular Vega trans.

My blue '80 was a three on the tree converted to a floor shifted four speed, as was our '69 GMC, so I have a predilection for that swap. Those were both 3.11 low gears.

K
You must be registered for see images attach

mikeoverland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250/I6
Yes - you would gain one gear.

(!)

Plus the "fun factor".

I'd do it. The Saginaw is a sweet little trans. You'd have to do something for a shifter, assuming you are now column shifted. Hurst makes a number of (what used to be) inexpensive floor stick shifts.

There are a bunch of different available first gear ratios, so it would be interesting to know the gear in this particular Vega trans.

My blue '80 was a three on the tree converted to a floor shifted four speed, as was our '69 GMC, so I have a predilection for that swap. Those were both 3.11 low gears.

K
You must be registered for see images attach
I've already converted the truck to a floor shifter when I realized that the column shifter was hashed. It has a hurst comp 3 speed shifter in it now and I have read that you can use a 3 speed shifter on a 4 speed and you use a manual choke cable for the reverse. When you consider that my fuel pump and revers lights are wired into light switches, there is no dash in the truck, the gauge bezel is long gone and the headlights have 2 separate switches (have i mentioned that the wiring on this truck is hashed?) having a knob that you have to pull to get into reverse really doesn't bug me at all.

Mike

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I was of the opinion all Vega Saginaws were 3.11 back when I thought they were the hot thing.Id love to have one now. Ive run them before and would again. I've contemplated running the 3 speed shifter on a 4 speed before ,the way I thought I would do it is re index the reverse shift lever and run a rod with a knob through the floor. Shifter in neutral pull the knob you are in reverse push the knob back down you are in neutral. They are cool, but don't run it hard with sticky tires. Make traction your weak point or your transmission will be the weak point. Ohh, you stole that,I hate you,your a di k. I hope you have thicker skin than what's his name! Lol

Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I've already converted the truck to a floor shifter when I realized that the column shifter was hashed. It has a hurst comp 3 speed shifter in it now and I have read that you can use a 3 speed shifter on a 4 speed and you use a manual choke cable for the reverse. When you consider that my fuel pump and revers lights are wired into light switches, there is no dash in the truck, the gauge bezel is long gone and the headlights have 2 separate switches (have i mentioned that the wiring on this truck is hashed?) having a knob that you have to pull to get into reverse really doesn't bug me at all.

Mike
I had my reverse lights wired to a toggle as well.

That way I could hook up the trailer at night.

K

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I had my reverse lights wired to a toggle as well.
I had that on an El Camino after a trans swap. Mine had a red light in the switch assy so I wouldn’t forget to turn the reverse lights off. I found the switch (plus brighter bulbs) was also good for signaling people driving behind me with their brights on. Usually, a couple of flashes would wake them up and they’d switch to low beams. If that didn’t work, I’d leave ‘em on just to irritate the idiots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31