4 Bolt or 2 Bolt????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
This must be close to a new motor, or have some mods done to it. I see used 40,000-80,000 mile OEM reman 454's for $800 around here. 100,000 miles or so are around $600. Prices also depend on if they're long block or include all the bracketry and such. Brackets aren't cheap these days and as Mad points out, Big Block stuff is not near as easy to find. Very very rarely do you see a Big Block in a DIY U pull it yard. An employess has usually gotten to it before it got put out in the yard. And if you do find one, you better be on it the second it was set down or it's already been raped, molested and even a few counts of sodomy done to it.

Sodomized a few big blocks, have you? :D

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
This must be close to a new motor, or have some mods done to it. I see used 40,000-80,000 mile OEM reman 454's for $800 around here. 100,000 miles or so are around $600. Prices also depend on if they're long block or include all the bracketry and such. Brackets aren't cheap these days and as Mad points out, Big Block stuff is not near as easy to find. Very very rarely do you see a Big Block in a DIY U pull it yard. An employess has usually gotten to it before it got put out in the yard. And if you do find one, you better be on it the second it was set down or it's already been raped, molested and even a few counts of sodomy done to it.

Yea, im starting to collect late 60's-70's OEM BBC brackets, like you said, they are getting fewer and harder to find every day.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Lol

1986K5Wa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Yeah freshly rebuilt and its bored. It has a 9.5to1 compression. Theywere goingto use it ina Chevy pickup but that never came thur..So he's selling it. I thought it would be fun. I have a 454 big block in mine already but it's not done up..

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
should come with a warranty ?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BTW, I don't think you need to worry if a BBC is running a 4bolt or 2 bolt main. Have you seen the size of the main journals? Big Blocks usually aren't turning the mega high rpms anyway. If you're over 6500rpm in a BBC, I'd be shocked. IMO, the best thing anyone can do to strengthen the bottom end of a BBC is to lighten the rotating assembly. Have some weight taken off the crank, rods, pistons and a good balance job will give you much more insurance than 2 more bolts on the main caps. And truth be known, 4 bolts the way they're done really don't add much strength anyway. I'd prefer a 2 bolt main and if I did feel the need for a 4 bolt main, then I'd buy 4 bolt splayed main caps and have my block drilled, taped and line bored for the new splayed main caps. You can't do that to a 4 bolt block because the block has already had metal removed in the area your splayed bolts would be going and you'd not get much benefit from splayed mains on a 4 bolt block.

And I'm also one that doesn't put alot of hype into 4 bolt SBC's either. I ran a 2 bolt 350 turing 6800-7000 rpm and never had it come apart. Just a well balanced motor using ARP hardware and never had it come apart. Even bumped 7200-7300 on some rap revs occasionally.

1986K5Wa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Thanks Hot Rod.. You guys are more knowledgeable than I am on this issue. I don't think I'll be doing much racing. Just want a good sounding engine with some more power than what I have now. Pamon doingsome camping this summer and want to take my K5 anywhere.

1986K5Wa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
By the way I have an electric fuel pump but he has mechanical. I'mguessing I should stick with the mechanical one?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
By the way I have an electric fuel pump but he has mechanical. I'mguessing I should stick with the mechanical one?

Pros an Cons to both. Do you know the range of PSI on the electric one? Like is a Carb E pump, or injection E pump? You only want 4-7 psi for a carb pump.

1986K5Wa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I'll have to look into it again. It's one from Napa I think it's around 7psi

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
I love chevy. That's freakin cool. So pretty much anything goes with anything ?

BOPCadillac share bellhousings, all the way from the worst 260 to a 500. Pontiacs really only had one block, Olds had 2 deck heights and Buick had 2 different blocks. Cadillacs used the same block from 366-500.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BOPCadillac share bellhousings, all the way from the worst 260 to a 500. Pontiacs really only had one block, Olds had 2 deck heights and Buick had 2 different blocks. Cadillacs used the same block from 366-500.

While this is all true, there was still early and late engines. Pontiac for example, the 389 and 421 were an earlier generation than the 350, 400, 428 and 455. Olds had the early early motors, then the early motors like the 400, and 425, then the later and last generation 400, 455 as well as the 350, 403 etc in the small blocks. Buick had the Nailheads early on blah blah blah, but yes, most of which all did use the same Bellhousing patterns in in the early and late engines but not the real early engines.

Many aren't aware, Pontiac didn't have such thing as a small block and big block. All blocks in each generation were the same dimensions and I'm sure that's what you meant by 1 block. Very true of each generation.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
And early Pontiacs had reverse flow cooling too.

I wasn't even thinking about the Gen I Olds, Cad Gen I OHV or the Nailhead Buicks.

I read a lot of old Hot Rod, Car Craft and PHR in my teens recovering from the multiple surgeries I had then.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And early Pontiacs had reverse flow cooling too.

I wasn't even thinking about the Gen I Olds, Cad Gen I OHV or the Nailhead Buicks.

I read a lot of old Hot Rod, Car Craft and PHR in my teens recovering from the multiple surgeries I had then.

Yep, all kinds of neat tidbits about old engines. Like Buick for example. There was one year, they changed engine rotation. 1 year and one year only. No big deal unless you were trying to time that one year engine. I had neighbors stumped bigger than **** over that. Finally someone got out an old old Chiltons guide. We figured, well, lets try it, nothing else to lose we've tried everything else. The damn thing fired right up !!! We were all blown away and had worked on that bitch for 3 days. A Friday night til we all got drunk, all day Saturday, and different neighbors coming down at different times to see what all we were doing, and by late Sunday afternoon, FINALLY got the bitch running. It was Buick motor and Th400 in a 62 1/2 ton Chevy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris