350 Tune-up "kit" w/ Cap, rotor, wires: Good deal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geocrasher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Hello,

I apologize if this has been covered to death. I was cruising RockAuto for some parts for a front end brake rebuild , and decided to look into a tune up. I've had my 88 Suburban for about 7 years and haven't replaced the cap, rotor, wires, or plugs. Mind you, it's not seen but 20 or 30k miles in that amount of time. maybe less. I was intrigued when I ran across this:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1144949&cc=1301094&jsn=1

Wires, Cap, Rotor for about $35 + Shipping. Is this stuff worthwhile? It seems like a good deal if so. Thanks for any opinions :)

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Never bought one.

It was either more expensive than piecing together the cheapest parts from one shipping location or not the brand I wanted. Personally, if i'm gonna sell a car i get the cheap stuff. My burb currently has all AC Delco parts.

Probably all made from the same stuff. Cap and rotor have brass contacts so thats a plus. I would try it out.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I use nor recommend the Delco cap and rotor anymore. The aluminum pins are more oxidation than metal at 30K miles, and the performance will effectively park the vehicle until you replace them. Brass has better properties to be used in this setting, and it should last longer than 30K. I’m currently in the process of testing this, although it’ll be about 18-24 months before I exceed that mileage. So the cap should be fine. My only concern with the press fit rotors is that certain cheap ones can’t handle multiple removals and installations, and they turn into more of a slop fit. You want to mitigate rotational play in the distributor wherever possible. I’d still try it out, though. And I do like the Delco plugs wires, but I think all in all it’s worth a try.

geocrasher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Cool, thanks guys. I appreciate it. I'm so far out of the loop on this stuff it's not funny.

Dysco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I purchased that kit. Very pleased with it.changed plugs at the same time as everything else. Very happy with the ease of starting. I haven't had a chance to see if it has helped my mpg, but with as well as it starts and sounds, it's certainly running more efficient.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynhigh88