Magnetic Plug wires and other tune up stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Some of you know I've been having trouble with #7 oil fouling on my 305, which in turn causes a misfire. It's been a while since I've done a full tune up, and while I did just do plugs, the cap, rotor and wires have about 15K on them and they were low cost parts. So this time I went for the good stuff. Blue Streak parts, cap and rotor have brass contacts, and I bought a module as well. My module seemed to be working fine but it was OEM so I thought putting in a new one and keeping the old one in the glove box would be a good idea.

So the plug wires. I asked for a good quality plug wire and my choices were omnispark or Blue streak. I've had omni-spark and I would say they are ok economy wires, so I went for the Blue Streaks. I did the tune-up this morning and realized the plug wires are not the standard carbon / suppression wires, these are low resistance magnetic / suppression wires. They are on the truck so I'm going to run them and see how it goes, but curious if anyone else is running magnetic / suppression wires even if they are a different brand. I will report my experience as well.

As a side note I tune-up the Jeep to, also using the brand and type of ignition components.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Also when it comes to plugs/wires/caps/rotors.....RockAuto is normally cheaper than anyone. I checked. 8.5mm Bluestreak was $42 for your 305. Will help the wallet if you've got time to wait.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
they basically block interference.

ferite core
Ya, and so do the regular carbon wires, it's just the core, and how it blocks that interference is different. That's pretty much the end of my knowledge and no first hand experience, well I be getting some in now.
Also when it comes to plugs/wires/caps/rotors.....RockAuto is normally cheaper than anyone. I checked. 8.5mm Bluestreak was $42 for your 305. Will help the wallet if you've got time to wait.
Thanks, I always like to save a buck, but back IDK 15 or so years ago I had to return some defective parts to Rock and got the run around bad I lost $300 on a deflective ECM. That and shipping charges can really eat into savings, especially for heavy stuff. I'm not saying no to rock, but for those reasons I use amazon when I order parts online, with prime free shipping means so parts are cheaper than I get them wholesale though the shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28