350 5.7 won't idle/runs bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So i bought an 83 k10 about 3 weeks ago. Drove it pretty short distances for the most part, a few long drives, but other then that it never really got up to temperature, not even close to 160, because i had it on for such a short time.

Went through a huge puddle in a dirt parking lot the other day, didn't look as deep as it actually was... but got through ti without even having to use 4 wheel.

Turning back into my road to go home, a persons turning so i go to stop and let them go... and it stalls. Cop right there too. Got it back home, my friends dad who has been a mechanic all his life (A good one) said because i'd been driving it such short distances, the plugs get all fouled up and such. He said that'd happen to the town trucks that were these kind of trucks back then, which he worked on.

Replaced the spark plugs, still does the same thing, just a little better. My friends dad now thinks, and i believe him, just coming here to see what you guys think, that the choke (edelbrock carb) which is at the front of the carb right on top, is shut (Which it looks to be) and that when i was going through the puddle, which had big holes and pieces of rocks/concrete and stuf making the whole truck bang around, that it slammed it shut, and thats why its doing this. It does sound like its choked, and its too late to do anything to it now, but ill see how it is in the morning with the choke opened up (Electric choke has been disconnected).

So, what do you think the cause of this is? Just looking for more advice/a second opinion.

Thanks!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
5 minutes after start-up, the choke plate should be wide open. Proper operation is not hard to check. After allowing sufficient time for the engine to warm up:

Pull the air cleaner cover

Look at the choke butterfly plate.

It should be wide open:

You must be registered for see images attach

This problem may very well be related to your CHOKE light (on the dash) issue and the lack of a functioning choke heater. Have you traced the source of the power for the choke heater yet?

But regardless, even without a heater assist, the choke plate should eventually open - just by the heat radiating off the engine.

If it doesn't, adjust like this:

With the engine cold, loosen the 3 little screws on the coil housing clamp. Then rotate the housing slowly until the plate just starts to move open:

You must be registered for see images attach

Try it like that and make adjustments as necessary.

Last edited:

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well, i left it at my friends house overnight. In the morning his dad (the mechanic) looked at it, and he just ziptied the choke open for now. Still wouldn't quite idle, so he turned the idle screw and it idles around 1200 now.

Still runs like crap.
Supposedly its something with the carb. Bringing it to my dads mechanic some point this week, seeing what he can do about it, and at the same time might as well look over the whole truck.
It smokes way more then it should too. Always has when it first starts when its warm t usually stops, but my friends dad said it was smoking out his entire driveway revving it.

In my state, you can return and get a refund for a vehicle up to 30 days after you buy it. I have about another week left, maybe more.
Depending on what the mechanic says, i might be giving the truck back, especially if the smoking is still a problem after he works on it. To me, the most probable cause (Only one i really know that would be causing the smoke) would be oil getting by the rings on the pistons, and if thats the case trucks going back. Don't have the money for all that, supposedly only has 30k on the engine to.

Thanks!

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Well, i left it at my friends house overnight. In the morning his dad (the mechanic) looked at it, and he just ziptied the choke open for now. Still wouldn't quite idle, so he turned the idle screw and it idles around 1200 now.

Still runs like crap.
Supposedly its something with the carb. Bringing it to my dads mechanic some point this week, seeing what he can do about it, and at the same time might as well look over the whole truck.
It smokes way more then it should too. Always has when it first starts when its warm t usually stops, but my friends dad said it was smoking out his entire driveway revving it.

In my state, you can return and get a refund for a vehicle up to 30 days after you buy it. I have about another week left, maybe more.
Depending on what the mechanic says, i might be giving the truck back, especially if the smoking is still a problem after he works on it. To me, the most probable cause (Only one i really know that would be causing the smoke) would be oil getting by the rings on the pistons, and if thats the case trucks going back. Don't have the money for all that, supposedly only has 30k on the engine to.

Thanks!

Yup, sounds like an Edelbrock carb to me. Q Jet or Holley is best.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yup, sounds like an Edelbrock carb to me. Q Jet or Holley is best.

I'll keep that in mind, might be getting a new carb in the near future if this one doesn't work out, thanks!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Excessive smoke at the tail pipe is usually not a good sign. If it has a :

1. Blue tint - indicates oil loss

2. White - indicates coolant loss

Blue smoke at start-up - diminishes as the engine comes up to operating temp - is generally a sign of worn valve stem seals. Live with it.

Blue smoke all the time = worn rings/cylinder walls. Not the end of the world, but keep a lot of cheap motor oil on hand.

White smoke - actually water vapor - is bad medicine. Indicates coolant loss into the combustion gases. Possible causes: failed head gasket, cracked cylinder head, cracked block, etc.

If there is white smoke/vapor - play the Lemon Law card.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04