292 cam in a daily?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So I'm wanting to get that old-school thump idle. And response... O
480 lift in thelunati cam kit I'm looking at 109 lsa truck has a turbo 350c.... Stock converter would the 292 be a decient cam for my daily driver? 2000 rpm to 6000 . it's going to be more of a toy than daily driver but it just gonna be driven with in a 30 mile radius if its driven daily. I had been told it would be fine driven a couple days a week and every now and then to the track

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
So I'm wanting to get that old-school thump idle. And response... O
480 lift in thelunati cam kit I'm looking at 109 lsa truck has a turbo 350c.... Stock converter would the 292 be a decient cam for my daily driver? 2000 rpm to 6000 . it's going to be more of a toy than daily driver but it just gonna be driven with in a 30 mile radius if its driven daily. I had been told it would be fine driven a couple days a week and every now and then to the track

need more info start with cam part number, gears, tire size, stall convertor.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Based on what I see its just more left and less lsa that a stock l82 cam from Corvettes, says it works with power brakes but, buying a cam that doesnt match the rest of the build will net poor performance. Call up a cam company and tell them what you have so they can get you a better cam than guessing from off the shelf parts.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
In nearly all cases, a lopey idle does not play nice with a stock converter.

Kyle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
In nearly all cases, a lopey idle does not play nice with a stock converter.
That's what I heard but wasn't sure normally it says if they need a stall or not

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
If it is the cam I'm thinking ,( without the trouble of looking..lol), it is a single pattern grind and 230* @ .050 , and that's across the line for a smallblock as far as needing a stall. It will run like gangbusters from 2,000 and up.

Needs some gear too.

Timbo

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 swb
Engine Size
I would say at least 2500 stall converter and 3:42 R&P or lower or it will be a slug off the line

kenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
1977, 1978
Truck Model
c10, k10
Engine Size
Agree. 10 inch convert will help things out a lot . Check out thumpr. Line of cams
Maybe you could get idle your looking for, with less duration

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Vacuum reservoir or MAYBE TWO or your brakes will be even more dangerous than stock ones will be. Go ahead and spend good money on a good brake job and parts. The fade is real.

2500 stall if not 2700. I think 3k is too high for a mostly street car with ****** gears.

Seriously. Runnin a 28" tire you would have to get DAMN CLOSE to a 4.56 to run at 3k light to light and if you can't hit 3k at 40 mph you will lunch your trans much faster than you think. You might could with 4.10s and the right (shorter) tire? Forget about a lock up convertor too, that's not an option.

I run 2500 on 28s with 3.73.
And a single plane intake manifold. If you want a dual and it's NOT a Holley 300-36 you leave a TON of RPM on the table. Sacrifice the "throttle response" to pull through 6k. Your **** will face plant mid track and ppl will laugh at you for using a totally lamed Preformer and you'll be lip-draggin at 1000 feet.
Think single plane - but not too tall. Keep the runners on the short side and you'll be fine if your compression ratio is at least 9.3 - 9.5:1 OR BETTER.
8.2 will not cut it, just sayin!

If you can manage all that **** you will make a bad mother f_ that SCREAMS, i bet.

You must be registered for see images attach

Wait. What was the question again?

Kyle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Vacuum reservoir or MAYBE TWO or your brakes will be even more dangerous than stock ones will be. Go ahead and spend good money on a good brake job and parts. The fade is real.

2500 stall if not 2700. I think 3k is too high for a mostly street car with ****** gears.

Seriously. Runnin a 28" tire you would have to get DAMN CLOSE to a 4.56 to run at 3k light to light and if you can't hit 3k at 40 mph you will lunch your trans much faster than you think. You might could with 4.10s and the right (shorter) tire? Forget about a lock up convertor too, that's not an option.

I run 2500 on 28s with 3.73.
And a single plane intake manifold. If you want a dual and it's NOT a Holley 300-36 you leave a TON of RPM on the table. Sacrifice the "throttle response" to pull through 6k. Your **** will face plant mid track and ppl will laugh at you for using a totally lamed Preformer and you'll be lip-draggin at 1000 feet.
Think single plane - but not too tall. Keep the runners on the short side and you'll be fine if your compression ratio is at least 9.3 - 9.5:1 OR BETTER.
8.2 will not cut it, just sayin!

If you can manage all that **** you will make a bad mother f_ that SCREAMS, i bet.

You must be registered for see images attach

Wait. What was the question again?
Well makes sense... if I get my cdl and find a decent paying local dump truck job it will be my play toy I am not sure what cam is in it now but she straight **** and gets. So until I make some friends at the track I'm gonna be running solo. I can do basic mantince and engine swaps and trans but I'm gonna have to get a crew together because I can drive my ass off

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP