2001 YZ 250

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derick C.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454/700r4
I do like those LT's
I plan on building an atv and dirtbike collection when my shop is done.
I've never owned an LT but I have built a few motors for friends.
I've had several 250r's and several tecate's, always been a honda a Kawi fan.

Buff71

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
On the bright side.... if you rebuild it, you know what you have. I have been caught it that trap and it sucks. Some people just shouldn't own tools. Wait maybe that was the problem lol

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Found a friend to patch my case, but the repair needs attention. The fix was too big and will be hit by the chain and sprocket but we are on the right track to getting back on two wheels.
You must be registered for see images attach

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have been slowly making a little progress on the bike. New bearings in the swingarm and linkage, frame getting cleaned up for paint, new crank and piston with the cylinder at the machine shop. This is going to be a new bike when/if we ever get finished.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have been slowly making a little progress on the bike. New bearings in the swingarm and linkage, frame getting cleaned up for paint, new crank and piston with the cylinder at the machine shop. This is going to be a new bike when/if we ever get finished.

What is the Machine Shop doing to the cylinder? Maybe sleeving it.

I doubt if they can do the nicasil coating on the cylinder wall.
If not, I'd reccomend Millenium Technologies. They will weld in the deep gouges, grind it smooth, then apply the nicasil coating.

https://www.millennium-tech.net/serviceInfo.php?id=1

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small

Look into wiseco cranks online. Their pistons are fine, but the crank assemblies have a reputation for problems.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

If not, I'd reccomend Millenium Technologies. They will weld in the deep gouges, grind it smooth, then apply the nicasil coating.

Boring it 20 over to clean up the cylinder. I have no idea about nicasil coatings and never even asked.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Look into wiseco cranks online. Their pistons are fine, but the crank assemblies have a reputation for problems.
I have heard they had some issues with bearings in the past. I never heard anything about the cranks.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

You had me worried enough to call the machine shop and find out what the story was. Evidently my bike already has a steel sleeve in it so they are just boring it a bit to fit a .20 over piston.:shrug:

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You had me worried enough to call the machine shop and find out what the story was. Evidently my bike already has a steel sleeve in it so they are just boring it a bit to fit a .20 over piston.:shrug:
I see. I was just making sure they weren't boring the factory cylinder wall. Unless sleeved, they haven't been boreable since the early 80s.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I see. I was just making sure they weren't boring the factory cylinder wall. Unless sleeved, they haven't been boreable since the early 80s.
You had me real worried since it was the factory size to begin with. With my normal luck the odds it had a new sleeve in there are so slim... I should probably go buy a lotto ticket.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well, I think I learned a lesson from the machine shop I thought I could trust. Went to get my cylinder and piston yesterday and they tell me they couldn't do what I wanted. They tried boring it and said it just flaked chrome off and wasn't going to work... Evidently looking at it, and my call to confirm they could do it weren't enough info for them to be able to tell that it was the original coating. So now it's proper screwed... I emailed Eric Gorr about a 295cc top end. If I am going to have to spend $400 on a new cylinder I might as well go for the big bore with all the fixings at $660.

I guess it didn't cost anything but an overbore two stroke piston. Glad I didn't take my truck engine down there. @Camar068 if you need machine work let me know. I can tell you who to avoid in Somerset.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
blast them away here so I'll have this to fall back on in the future. I'm not into ATV's and such....lol can't afford it, but I know a lot that are and would like to share this info with them. This will also show up on google searches as well as a warning to others. They will take a hit for it, may take a while, but they will.

Derick C.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454/700r4
Sounds like it was a nikasil cylinder, I personally prefer a sleeved cylinder in my 2 strokes. Eric Gorr will do you right for sure.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Sounds like it was a nikasil cylinder, I personally prefer a sleeved cylinder in my 2 strokes. Eric Gorr will do you right for sure.
He's not replied to my email so I went ahead yesterday and ordered a new factory cylinder and piston kit. His website says they are not closed for Covid-19. His email attention says that he is or doesn't care so RockyMtn got my business. If he replies before I wear this cylinder out I might consider it next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28