2001 YZ 250

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Picked up a bike the other day thinking I might have a cheap toy but my excitement about getting a new bike may have bit me this time.

You must be registered for see images attach

I bought this one expecting to fix it so I knew a little of what I was getting into. The guy selling this bike called it an 02 but in reality it is an 01. Looking at it I knew the crank was locked up and would need rebuilt so I considered that in the negotiated price. I didn't however catch the busted side cover or realize how few replacements of that are out there... Other news... It needs all new swing arm bearings and linkage bearings, the forks need rebuilt, the front tire is flat, the rear tire is bald, the silencer has broken hangers, the sproket is totally wrong for this bike and may be what ruined the side cover and they were using a piece of tshirt for an air filter which is probably why the engine is locked up. I should put this in the Rant thread probably for people with poor maintenance. No wood screws found yet but a few self tappers...

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Oh, it also needs brake pads. SMH.

With the side cover off and the jb weld knocked off.

The way that clutch actuator moves behind the broken hole is going to make this repair a tricky one I am afraid. Cross your fingers I can get it fixed. If not, I may have some bike parts for sale.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yeeeeouch.
I hope You can get it all sorted out and back together.
I have used that Hobart aluminum stick welding rod and the OXY/ACETelyne torch to repair aluminum components, it will also work with a butane torch to, like the bernzomatic. There too is other aluminum stick on the market that has a lower melting point that might work good too. Just have a clean stainless steel brush to scrub to shiny the components.
This is just like the bike that My grandson would like to have, he is 14 and some of his friends has the 250 YZ Yamahas.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Oh snap!
Hope you got a good deal on it.
That kind of stuff sucks to find after the fact.
Good luck.

Dysco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
One of the VERY first things to look at on a bike is the rear sprocket and chain tensioner bolts. If the sprocket teeth look like the mouth of a gator (long teeth, wide gaps) and the chain tensioner bolts look like they haven't been moved, you are best to pass as it's a sure-fire indicator that the dolt who owned it did zero maintanence.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
From the early 2000s the frame changed quite a bit, power valve characteristics and a couple other things. I own an 02 and it is a great bike.

Because of how much I like it, I have my eye on the new yz250x as my next 2T woods bike, but maybe the new 300xc/tx. Everyone has the 300 around me and it’d be nice to have something different, but the tpi is only getting better and better.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Definately need a good bit of work but very worth it in the end. <- This is coming from a guy who rebuilt an 87 suzuki lt250r two years ago from a basket of parts and a separately sourced frame. Build it to keep it, you'll never get near what you put into it if you sell it.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I used to ride motocross and cross country back in the 70s-90s. We always said, "There is nothing more used than a used dirt bike." And we were talking about 2-3 year old bikes!

That said, a buddy of mine has a 96 WR250 (cross county version of YZ) that's in pristine condition. But I doubt it has 20 hours on it.

Last edited:

Derick C.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454/700r4
2 strokes are coming back. Build it and enjoy the hell out of it.
We have several offroad toys as well.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My friend that was willing to look at welding this has told me she didn't think she could get it done without it leaking. :( Still on the hunt for someone who might be able to weld it and chasing a lead on a side case in Mississippi that might work.

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oem...9bc78fc88/2001-yz250-yz250n1-parts?dropdown=t

The year doesn't matter, this bike only got cosmetic changes over the years.

I think the side case did change. From what I can find I should be able to use one from a 99, 00, or 01, but they changed designs between 98 and 99 and then again for the 2002 model. I do think they are the same after 06 though up to current.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
2 strokes are coming back. Build it and enjoy the hell out of it.
We have several offroad toys as well.
Really digging the banshee. I have had two of those and loved them. It wouldn't take a lot of work to sell me another lol

Definately need a good bit of work but very worth it in the end. <- This is coming from a guy who rebuilt an 87 suzuki lt250r two years ago from a basket of parts and a separately sourced frame. Build it to keep it, you'll never get near what you put into it if you sell it.
I had an 86 lt250r that was a pretty quick machine but I think the 87 was pretty different. Mine was wore completely out. I will see if I can find an old photo of that thing. Found a couple with me being a dumb kid on it.

This was the meanest machine I have ever owned. I should have kept it but it got away when I had back trouble and didn't think I could ever ride or even start it again.

Last edited:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
My friend that was willing to look at welding this has told me she didn't think she could get it done without it leaking. :( Still on the hunt for someone who might be able to weld it and chasing a lead on a side case in Mississippi that might work.

I think the side case did change. From what I can find I should be able to use one from a 99, 00, or 01, but they changed designs between 98 and 99 and then again for the 2002 model. I do think they are the same after 06 though up to current.

That rings a bell... but it may be advantageous. Some parts may have been upgraded for strength perhaps..? A stronger side case sounds possible.
In that case (pun intended) the new case may be a better case. Wouldn't that be nice?
I wish I could help more. Not much of a Yamaha guy however I did buy a wr400... the first year... 98-9..? I street legalled it but rode single track and logging roads. In '02 I got my first KTM, the first of 5. Now I bleed orange.

I haven't rode for 6 years... miss it big time. Hopeful I'll have the time and resources next year. Braaap

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Yes I went back to 2 stroke..

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Really digging the banshee. I have had two of those and loved them. It wouldn't take a lot of work to sell me another lol

I had an 86 lt250r that was a pretty quick machine but I think the 87 was pretty different. Mine was wore completely out. I will see if I can find an old photo of that thing. Found a couple with me being a dumb kid on it.

This was the meanest machine I have ever owned. I should have kept it but it got away when I had back trouble and didn't think I could ever ride or even start it again.

Heres some of that LT. Also had a 02 cr125 but now were sticking with our suzuki ltz400, then our Honda 400ex, crf450r, and crf250r. Been alot of fun. The aluminum on that LT just never held up, and it rattled out bolts.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL