1994 S10 1Ton SAS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Allow me to pick your brain for a moment, don't know if you are a wiring guru as you are a frame, suspension, etc guy (i'm sure you are) i have a starting issue on my new '88 Jimmy, put a battery in it went to start it, wouldn't crank and got some smoke under the hood. Near the booster there's a wire that's loose and bare (red) and can't figure out where it came from or where it goes; thinking it's quite important. Only asking you this because our Blazer/Jimmy aren't too far apart, not sure if you'd know it or not. Any advice is appreciated.

'88 GMC Jimmy | GM Square Body - 1973 - 1987 GM Truck Forum

Post #48 it's pictured

Im honestly not sure, theres a couple things i could be. I can look under the hood of my suburban if you like. The 87-91 suburbans, k5's, and crew cabs are all fuel injection, and share a very similar wiring.

I couldn't tell you on the k5 because im not even using but 10% of the engine bay harness. The rest of it is ziptied up because i have holley efi controlling fueling

My suburban however has a unmolested wiring harness for the engine bay.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Im honestly not sure, theres a couple things i could be. I can look under the hood of my suburban if you like. The 87-91 suburbans, k5's, and crew cabs are all fuel injection, and share a very similar wiring.

I couldn't tell you on the k5 because im not even using but 10% of the engine bay harness. The rest of it is ziptied up because i have holley efi controlling fueling.

this is true. well yeah if you wouldn't mind peaking at the Burb when you get the chance i'd appreciate it

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Double triple quadruple "like"

:rofl:

I have another video i didnt upload, it was me CRUSHING an ac unit with the s10 lol

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Silly rednecks! :rolleyes::happy107:

You know you'd be over for a case o beer and a ride in the shitbox to run over junk cars too...

Theres two cars, (one dads, one my cousins) resting nearby thats got a destiny with the crusher, THEYRE PARKED SIDE BY SIDE

Im gonna see here soon if i have permission to run them over and park on top of them.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
So, i dont think an update was made, but we had a pretty ****** Uwharrie trip in april.

On the trip, i:
1.Stretched and ripped off my draglink bolt for crossover (held it together with a vicegrip so i could get out the trails)
2. Blew up my exhaust
3. Broke reverse backing up a 90° dirt wall (more info on that shortly)
4. Somehow developed a PS leak at one of the hydraulic ram lines, that leaked like a gunshot wound.

My buddies jeep turned off completely, and never turned back on. I had to tow him out with a rope with my s10.

The only champion of the trails was the K5 blazer our friend DROVE there. Same one i rebuilt a th350 for.

The back story on the already weakened reverse:

A while back i was goofing off, and got at the top of the drive (its a long downhill thing), so i threw it up in 2hi, power braked it, and then stomped the gas.... of course.. the old 4.3 spins those big ol' 39.5 boggers no issue.

Well, my gas pedla got stuck under the floor mat, and i immediately threw it in what i thought was neutral... (indicator broke, and i just panicked)

Nope. It was reverse.
BUT.
The tires just locked down, and then began to spin in reverse.... i was amazed.
Thats on a stock sunshell i welded and then turned down to emulate "the beast" sunshell .. so impressive no doubt.

I imagine however, the factory splines probably got twisted...

So thats the backstory on part #3...

While on the trails, i guess that hard 90° dirt wall pull in reverse finished them off.

So i pulled the trans yesterday.

No chunks thankfully, just normal ash, and a burnt smell from those low, slow, pulls.
The ol' 4L60e just aint gonna keep handling this abuse unless i install a good oil cooler for it. (Running factroy thru-rad cooler)

Regardless. Today, i'll get her apart and check it out. See whats broken.

Probably buy a total overhaul set, do new bushings, seals, if clutches are ok, leave them. We'll see.
Last "overhaul" was as bad as a "aerosol overhaul"

I put 80$ into it with a boost valve, the cheapest clutches and steels, and a filter.

Nothing else replaced. It was a junkyard transmission from a 93 s10 blazer with a solid 180k miles on it... so those seals have some time on them for sure.

I plan on upgrading my sunshell to "the beast" so when i get drunk and punish it, it'll STOP breaking that already HAHAHA

I think i'll also do a couple small VB mods so it'll hit the 1-2 real hard, and i'll also set the (new) band clearance tightly.
Maybe even a aftermarket servo to assist in the 1-2
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Mind all the RTV.... i was in a BIG, BIG hurry to get that pos together last year, and just filled every place it could leak up with RTV... (no seals or gaskets replaced)

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Maybe one day i'll stop dicking around with a 4L60e and swap in a th350 and just be done with it.

This only like, the 5th? time (soon) i will be reinstalling a 4L60e.

However, the past 3 times was junkyard transmissions.
The 4th time was because of the fateful neutral drop i did.

This 5th time will hopefully be the last for a little while.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Maybe one day i'll stop dicking around with a 4L60e and swap in a th350 and just be done with it.

This only like, the 5th? time (soon) i will be reinstalling a 4L60e.

However, the past 3 times was junkyard transmissions.
The 4th time was because of the fateful neutral drop i did.

This 5th time will hopefully be the last for a little while.

holy hell haha at least you're having fun. . .i hope

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Well, i took apart the 4L60e, to find not destruction, but severe wear and tear after a winter's worth of abuse.

Carnage in the s10 4L60e: Sunshell actually isnt broken, but, The sungear that drives it, has a snapring that somewhat sets the depth of it, that snap ring popped, allowing it to set too deep in the reaction carrier.... chewed up a bunch of shitttt.
Sunshell is crap,
sunshell's drive gear is crap.
Load reaction carrier= crap,
Low/rev planetary set = ******* wrecked (sloppy)
junk 2nd gear drum = burnt
2nd gear band = heat cracked and burnt.
The drive lugs of the 2nd gear drum that mate with the sunshell are DESTROYEDDDDDDD from the neuttal drops and the slamming it in reverse mid-burnout.

Alot of hard parts have taken alot of abuse.
Its questionable if im gonna even rebuild, or find a th350 to run.

Issue is making it all work with my full size np241 though.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I didnt include pics, because there isnt a whole lot to see, i mean, theres really bad wear and tear, but not carnage.

Its obvious whoever the ******* is that was behind the wheel, REALLY beat on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84