1987 V30 Rear Brake drum to disk conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
I'll try to see if I can find a pic for you, but I took a piece of scrap aluminum plate drilled a hole in it and tapped it screwed a fitting in to the hole and clamped clear line from the hardware store on it clamped the other end of the line over the nozzle end of a dollar General pump sprayer. Made a gasket out of sheet rubber glued to the plate and clamped it over whatever master cylinder I'm working on. 2 pieces of angle iron on top 2 pieces of angle under the master and 4 battery hold down j bolts. You can pump it up and push so much fluid through everything it's not even funny. In that pic I was using 1 strap on top 1 strap on bottom because of the master cylinder, but you get the idea. I never even use my snap on pressure bleeder now.

How are your rear calipers mounted and where Aretha bleeders oriented. More than once I've seen where the bleeder wasn't the highest point and the will never bleed unless you take them off Leave the hose attached and put wood blocks in between the pads now orient the bleeder so they are the high point, bleed your brakes and reinstall the calipers.

Last edited:

George LaFave

Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Figured mine out... I purchased new rear calipers a month ago and put them on the same way the old ones were installed.... didnt even think you could reverse them... old friend that has taught me so much over the years looked at a crappy pictures and caught it... bleeder screws were on the bottom of the piston. could not get the air out. felt kind of stupid but happy to have a solution...... on the bright side... while hunting down the issue I found many red neck engineering issues that I was able to catch before they became a real danger or problem

Brakes are awesome now... And I will be delivering a bottle of Crown Royal this afternoon....... great eyes and a good catch to an old friend....

Had multiple mechanics and talented friends look at this pickup without catching it.... I should have because I remember thinking this is a really stupid way to run these brake lines. Thanful for help and so far 2021 is starting out much better than 2020 I have never been so close to giving up... I had just put wheels on and was washing my hands in defeat... I had replaced the complete brake system lines.Master, booster, all four calipers and rotors.... proportioning valve... everything.....

Well... at least I know what I have now... Never give up... dont be afraid to ask for a fresh set of eyes....

You must be registered for see images attach

George LaFave

Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Ricko1966

that is awesome... I Actually borrowed a phoenix brake bleeding system from a friend that has that same set up bunch of different rubber plates that fit the top of almost every MC ever made... $400 dollar tool you made for 20 bucks.... nice. worked good too..

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So they were on upside down?

On my K5, I mounted the calliper with the bleeders down so the parking brake cable would run over the axle and not hang down and snag and also put it in better alignment. To bleed the brakes, I'd have to take the calipers off the bracket and flip them up with a piece of 2x4 in them to push against.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84