1987 C10 Hood latch cable stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

murdrd87

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
Ive got a problem, my 87 C10 hood cable is stuck, when you pull on the handle on the inside it wont move or anything, is there any way i can get the hood to open since the cable is doin nothing.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Have some one push down on the front of hood when you pull the lever /might work for ya/

Erik1

Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
Gmc V2500 (V 20)
Engine Size
I've had the same problem with my hood. I tried cleaning the hook out and re-oiling/greasing it, still same problem. It seemed like it was a combination of a worn out spring and gunk where the hook/claw pivots. I went to a pick and pull and got a new one(you can't buy them unless you go thru lmc). fixed the problem.
also the hood spring itself might be weak that's why they don't spring up when unlatched sometimes.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sometimes, when the hood does`nt pop, pull the handle, go to the front of the vehicle and give the front of the hood a quick bop with the side of the fist. Just be sure the pound is`nt on a weak place of the hood.
Sometimes it takes two people, one to hold out the release and another to give it the rap.
IF none of this releases the hood, it then be time to remove the grill, release the hood and, get it to functioning properly before reinstalling the grill.
IF it is in fact a broken cable then, the grill has to come off anyways.
Be sure to clean and lube all of the hold down equipment while in the process of replacing the cable.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My '88 is one of the ones that requires a bit of a smack to the hood so it pops. Been like that for years. I think there's a few fist dents now, but it's hard to tell with all the hail damage, dried mud, and peeling clearcoat. Seems like 6 inches to the right (passenger) of the center is the sweet spot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06