1986 c10 Steering column. does it matter what trans you have? going from TH350 to 4L75e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I am kinda in a pickle here. I have removed original drive train for a Ls swap.
I have modified the linkage to work, but cannot get it to drop to first gear. I
notice on the column under the hood where the are comes out to the linkage
rod that goes to trans bottoms out at 2nd gear position. Back in the day I
did TH350 to 700r4 swaps without a problem. But did notice are on column.
Am I over thinking this. It should not matter on the column Im thinking??
If I bought a Lokar kit, It will use the same arm on the column. Im lost LOL.

wlwarnke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
It should work. Put the trans in 1st gear, drop the shifter all the way to the bottom of its travel (1st). Then adjust and connect the linkage. I’ve done a few swaps and there was always enough travel in the column to use all the stock linkage, etc.

Can swap in an OD indicator in the gauge bezel and adjust the cable for it.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I read this earlier & didn't think much of it, then was scrolling youtube looking at interior and speaker box stuff for ideas & came across a Salvage to Savage video where they talk about re-drilling the hole in the shift arm that goes between the frame and trans to make their 4L80 work with their column.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
The pivot bracket on the driver's side frame rail under the cab, where the linkage presses into with the spring and bushing, unbolt it and move it rearward so the front hole in the bracket lines up with the rear hole in the frame. Then bolt it down. If you have a way to get to it, redrill the rear hole and bolt it for good measure. I moved mine when I LS swapped my truck, only used the front bolt cuz I didn't have a way to drill that rear hole. It's been fine for a year and a half and 17k+ miles now.

1977ShortWide

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Nasty,

Im having the same issue with my swap the total travel range does not allow my 4l80 to hit 1st. I could adjust it to get first but can’t make park then. I relocated the linkage pivot on the frame and extended the rod but will need to make a small change to the rod length at the trans or column to make then ratios work correctly.

Jeff

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I've swapped from 3speed to R4 in the past and just dropped it into first and readjusted it like mentioned earlier. It doesn't work perfectly but it did give me all 4 gears and still had park.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Does your Linkage have a fair amount of play soaking up/ robbing a gear click from you

wlwarnke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I’ve done several swaps to 4 speeds. It will use up all available column stroke but it has always worked.

Like another user mentioned. Loosen up the bolt that secures the rod, Put Tranny in 1 and set column all the way down to 1. Then tighten the jamb bolt to the rod.

If your pivot ball or bushing was the column are worn there may just be too much slack.

I’m working on a 77 C10 with a 6.0/4L80 and he used an aftermarket linkage they has heims on both ends and seems to be working great. I don’t feel any inherent slop like the factory setup.

I’m thinking of putting on in my K5 with a 5.3/4L60.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84