1986 C10- Is it reliable enough for a daily driver?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have an original quad on my 77 chevy k10 and all that has ever been done to it is the accelerator pump and filter changes.140k on the truck.Starts and runs fine year round.The carb has never been off the engine

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yeah, and it's always the carb that's at fault. If it's a Holley, someone will say, "Replace that piece of junk with an Edelbrock," and vice versa. North Texas isn't exactly like the upper Midwest in the winter, but I've never had issues starting my old cars or trucks in sub-freezing weather, and waiting no more than 30 seconds before driving. And that's with several engines and carb combos. It's mainly a matter of choke settings, including fast idle.

I did have a "hesitation" issue on a 350 engine with a 600 Holley on a day in the high 20s. It was so cold, the coolant wouldn't get above 160F or so even after 15-20 minutes of driving! But I tuned it out with slightly larger squirters and 1-step richer power valve.

I actually enjoy playing with carbs. My all-time favorite is a old-skool 650 Holley #80783C. Classic gold finish and worked great at all throttle positions and loads, with zero changes from stock except for float level and idle mixture adjustments. Sold a car with that carb installed. Wish I would have replaced it first. :(

Sad story. :(

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I'm thinking about purchasing a 1986 C10 this weekend. I'm trying to do my research on if this C10 would make a good, reliable daily driver. Obviously I know you guys cant tell me specifically about this truck but I am hoping you can tell me about these trucks in general. Here's what I know about the truck:

1986 C10 -$14,000

Dakota digital dash, Retro sounds bluetooth stereo, new crate engine put in last year 330hp 350 with 1400 miles on it,it has a 700r4 trans, Serpentine belt conversion, new hoses including a/c and p/s, new Edelbrock AVS Carb, new exhaust, new tires, lowered 4 inches in front and 4.5 inches in back (spindles and springs in front and axel flip in back), added sway bar in front, has p/w, p/s power disc brakes. Owner says there is some surface rust in the original paint but, claims its nothing of concern.Owner says it has good a/c, drives well and is above average condition for its age.

The only experience I have with this gen c10 is steering my grandpas as a child. I have always loved these trucks and wanted one but I drive 15-18k miles annually for work and thought the MPG's would kill me . So I have driven tacomas for gas mileage and reliability. However the Tacomas are only getting 17mpg on average and the new ones have issues and cost way too much.. I sold my Tacoma a year ago and bought a new Subaru SUV that was more "practical" .. I am hating it.

Carvana has offered to buy my Subaru for what I paid for it, which would allow me to buy the C10 and have it paid for. No car payment. The seller live about 3 hours away and I plan to go this week to drive it and possibly buy it. I'm fine with giving up creature comforts, safety features, tech, etc.. to get back in a vehicle that just looks badass and that I would enjoy driving. My only concern is the reliability. I dont know how to work on these engines as Ive never owned one but I am handy and feel like I could handle the basics with a Hanes manual and youtube videos. I just cant be without a vehicle for 3 days because something is broken.

So, can you tell me about the basic maintenance, how often does repairs pop up, and just kinda fill me in on what to expect as far as reliability.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.
In good condition, these Squarebodies are VERY reliable, although I would go after a pre-computer year if I were you - no worries about costly computer replacements, no worries about said computers becoming "obsolete" and irreplaceable. Things to worry about are, if you want an automatic, as most people nowadays do, is the condition of that automatic trans. If the fluid is brownish or burnt-orange instead of red or pink, and smells like varnish instead of baby's liquid vitamins, you almost certainly are going to have to have the trans overhauled in the next year or two. Look at the color of the motor oil. If it is inky black, beware. Listen carefully to the engine with it hot - meaning after after having been driven at least 15 minutes. If you hear valve train sounds, stuck lifters rough, uneven idle combined with valve train noises, engine probably has been neglected and will need an overhaul in a year or two, less if you use the truck hard. Listen for gear whine both while accelerating and coasting. If you hear that, you know what that means. If the body and frame are rust-free, and you don't mind fixing it's issues, you can have a seriously good truck, but if you want something that you can used daily right now, stay away. You want a nice quiet engine, an auto trans with nice red fluid that smells like baby's vitamins, no whining noises, and no knocking from the engine's lower end and you don't want low oil pressure.

J. B.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
This thread is several years old, I’m betting the truck has been sold.

I personally would rather have an unmolested truck if I was looking for a daily driver. GM made millions of these trucks, good solid unmodified trucks are out there.

The problem with custom trucks is you don’t know the quality of the work. It’s hard enough sometimes figuring out what’s wrong with factory equipment, aftermarket stuff and sloppy workmanship makes it even harder.

Having said all that, when new these trucks were expected to start and drive every day, in any environment, with zero hassle. Properly maintained there is no reason the won’t today. When things do go wrong, these trucks are easy to work on.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
I drove a '54 pickup for 4 years, it was 20-24 years old. It ran well every day - that is back when vehicles did not usually last 80k mi.

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I'm thinking about purchasing a 1986 C10 this weekend. I'm trying to do my research on if this C10 would make a good, reliable daily driver. Obviously I know you guys cant tell me specifically about this truck but I am hoping you can tell me about these trucks in general. Here's what I know about the truck:

1986 C10 -$14,000

Dakota digital dash, Retro sounds bluetooth stereo, new crate engine put in last year 330hp 350 with 1400 miles on it,it has a 700r4 trans, Serpentine belt conversion, new hoses including a/c and p/s, new Edelbrock AVS Carb, new exhaust, new tires, lowered 4 inches in front and 4.5 inches in back (spindles and springs in front and axel flip in back), added sway bar in front, has p/w, p/s power disc brakes. Owner says there is some surface rust in the original paint but, claims its nothing of concern.Owner says it has good a/c, drives well and is above average condition for its age.

The only experience I have with this gen c10 is steering my grandpas as a child. I have always loved these trucks and wanted one but I drive 15-18k miles annually for work and thought the MPG's would kill me . So I have driven tacomas for gas mileage and reliability. However the Tacomas are only getting 17mpg on average and the new ones have issues and cost way too much.. I sold my Tacoma a year ago and bought a new Subaru SUV that was more "practical" .. I am hating it.

Carvana has offered to buy my Subaru for what I paid for it, which would allow me to buy the C10 and have it paid for. No car payment. The seller live about 3 hours away and I plan to go this week to drive it and possibly buy it. I'm fine with giving up creature comforts, safety features, tech, etc.. to get back in a vehicle that just looks badass and that I would enjoy driving. My only concern is the reliability. I dont know how to work on these engines as Ive never owned one but I am handy and feel like I could handle the basics with a Hanes manual and youtube videos. I just cant be without a vehicle for 3 days because something is broken.

So, can you tell me about the basic maintenance, how often does repairs pop up, and just kinda fill me in on what to expect as far as reliability.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.
I am slowly going back to vehicles with no electronics. I have 2 ford pickups (2009 V10 and 2007 6.0L diesel). I find my biggest problem is plastic and failed electrical components. The old square bodies are heaven for repair compared to newer items. The 6.0L needs the cab removed to change some engine parts.

In my opinion, the best part about the SB's are the amount of available parts either used or reproduction. As well, the EPA is seriously clamping down on truck modifications. Deleted components from newer vehicles are becoming a cash cow of fines for them. They have fined businesses and now they are going after individuals.

Maybe someone can clarify this but I heard that they will look at emission controls by the vehicle age and also the motor age. For instance a certain year of SB needs certain emissions control devices from the age of the vehicle but then if you swap in a newer motor, the EPA will then say the motor will require vehicle upgrades to have the same controls as the motor age. I think this is in the works.

That means taking the old small block from 1975 and putting aftermarket full injection is a better route then a LS swap that might find emissions devices needing to be installed.

Like to hear about other people's thoughts or if they heard about further crack downs.

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Squares are going up in price everyday. I keep seeing that there is going to be a huge price correction in used and new vehicles. I think SB's have gone up partially because the cost of new and used vehicles have gone up.

I am just across the border, in Canada, above North Dakota. People are trying to sell SB's that do not have a straight piece of steel plus rusted out for 1000 to 2000. I look at the individual parts and ask myself what parts am I happy with. Put a price on those parts and if they are asking more than the parts you are happy with then it is priced too high.

Short boxes always have had a premium price. If the metal is straight and not full of bondo then add up the price of the OEM sheet metal. Recently, I have bought some new, old stock OEM GM repair panels for great prices. I have been stock piling good quality OEM metal.

Or do what celebrities do. They want something and someone builds it for them for 250,000. Personally, it is about putting together my own truck which is a nightmare and worth it at the same time. I find that I work on things and then I get too busy so to keep the dream alive I have many to build and at least one beater to drive.

Albrigap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
We drive a 90 4x2 Suburban as a daily driver. With the 7004R.
157,000 miles with a new engine at 110,000.
It spent the first 25 years, mostly in a heated garage, as a mover for a funeral home.
Zero rust and am always getting complements on how nice it looks.
I overhauled the engine, just put a new radiator in it the other day, new heater core and am about to pack the front wheels.
If you want the pickup, then buy it and drive it.
You will enjoy it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128