1986 C10- Is it reliable enough for a daily driver?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Theres also been alotnof shadetree mechanic work done on these trucks over the last 30 some years

This. Again, using my truck as an example, looks like the one OP is talking about. And most everything "seemed" in place when we bought it. BUT, ole shadetree Bob did get his dick beaters into it just enough to cause a few minor headaches (the initial stuff I've fixed), but not far enough along to ruin anything. Still got a couple gobs of trailer light wiring to clean up and a few other weekend warrior wonders, but IMO it IS worth a little extra to find one that the wiring etc is unmolested.

KingBowzer

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Absolutely worth waiting and finding the one that doesn't have rats nests and 35 head-units worth of extra wiring.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bevans

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks guys.. I’m gonna take a pass on this truck.

I might keep my current car. It’s new, reliable, get 29-33mpgs depending on how I Drive it. I just thought about ditching the SUV when I was offered very close to what I paid for it... and I do need a truck..

I thought I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone with this truck.. was hoping it would be a good dependable Classic V8 truck that’s fun to drive and also have the Ability to haul **** around.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
If you're wanting one, you'll find one. Being paid basically in-full for your car would be great. If the offer doesn't expire or drop too badly after some time has passed, keep your eye out for a truck and then sell the car to buy a truck.

KingBowzer

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Don't get me wrong. These are great trucks all around, and they can easily be everything you're expecting out of it, but with the cult following these trucks have amassed alot of people have turned alot of these trucks into a giant headache. All im saying is just make sure you know what you're getting into lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I second, third or fifth the price being too high. Nice truck but...

I have daily driven an 86 before for 2 years before. its wasnt a 14k truck either...more like a $2500 one(what i sold it for). I guess that all depends on what you need from a daily. mine had working ac and took me where i needed it to every time. Never left me stranded not once and I paid 1000 bucks for it and drove it while fixing it up. I had a brand new nissan at the time and still drove the truck every day because it was more comfortable and would carry my tools to work.
The caveat is I drive to work on back roads and have a company truck once im there. Also have a reliable "backup".
Ive had my nissan 3 years and it only has 20k miles on it.... that says how little i choose it over my Squares.

Long winded way to say if you wanna put in the work a old truck will do the job but even a true 14k square is gonna need work more often than a 14k nissan or honda etc.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I see the same year models in my area with heavy rust and original or rebuilt 305’s with horrible ripped/cracked or just plain missing interior Going for 7k-10k

Holy fkin Gdamn...come to Alabama to hunt then.
I need to start selling these things wherever you are. I can get solid rust free examples with new engines and clean interiors for 5-7k all day here. And for that you can expect to see some nice aftermarket parts as well. Im not trying to BS you either Just look at FB marketplace alabama.
My 84 is a longbed however it is completely rust free,dent free,power windows and doors, great interior, ac works, drives well and I paid 2k for it 5 months ago. I put a little time in it and no $ and it runs like a sewing machine now. I dont know what its worth per say but I recon I could put $500 in it and get 8-10k where you are if thats what they go for there...Wait your in GA..WTF thats practically next door. We dont pay extra for NO RUST here in the south brother...its just a given,LOL(SOrry for you yanks with your snow bunnies and fluffy clouds rusting every thing out in two years):Rant:

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Holy fkin Gdamn...come to Alabama to hunt then.
I need to start selling these things wherever you are. I can get solid rust free examples with new engines and clean interiors for 5-7k all day here. And for that you can expect to see some nice aftermarket parts as well. Im not trying to BS you either Just look at FB marketplace alabama.
My 84 is a longbed however it is completely rust free,dent free,power windows and doors, great interior, ac works, drives well and I paid 2k for it 5 months ago. I put a little time in it and no $ and it runs like a sewing machine now. I dont know what its worth per say but I recon I could put $500 in it and get 8-10k where you are if thats what they go for there...Wait your in GA..WTF thats practically next door. We dont pay extra for NO RUST here in the south brother...its just a given,LOL(SOrry for you yanks with your snow bunnies and fluffy clouds rusting every thing out in two years):Rant:
This was my thought, you're looking at a truck some flipper has overpriced for rust belt people. Don't really like to price squares but it's about 10k high, if everything works, for a GA truck. Stop overpricing squares dammit.:eek:

Salty Crusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
$14K should net you a nice truck and a week in a nice room in Vegas. We have a few like that local, but they have new crate engines, new paint and new interior but still aren't $14K.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Maybe this was said and I missed it, dunno? These trucks are very reliable, actually more so than the new electronic stuff of any make. Out side of the newer automatic trannys they rarely just quit, why I'm a standard guy. If you will listen and pay attention these old engines, drive trains and chassis "tell" you when they are developing a problem. Experience is how you know how long you have to address the problem, also, letting these little problems "go" is what gets you standing on the road. They require some tinkering with, if you don't enjoy working on your ride from time to time, or having to fix it to drive it, I would stay away from them. I do agree, the truck you were looking at is way to expensive. If you want one, buy a cheap one and build it up yourself, then when you are driving it you will know what it's "telling" you.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
14k :eek:

Get outta there. :burnout:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Don't really like to price squares but it's about 10k high, if everything works, for a GA truck.

While we all agree it's priced too high, your assessment is quite low.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave