1982 Chevrolet C10 headlights help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuckmac_7

Reaction score
First Name
chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hey good morning all, I was wondering if someone can help lead me in the right direction, I just bought a 1982 Chevy C10 and the headlights randomly just stopped working, I played with the headlight knob, got them to kick back on for one last drive, and now they won’t work at all,My cigarette lighter won’t work either anymore.Also my blinkers and reverse lights still work. If anyone could please chime in with some advice I’d greatly appreciate it, just picked this thing up last week as a fixer upper so still needs some fine tuning .

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
My best guess would be the headlight switch fried itself if all that other stuff went with it. You'll want to upgrade your headlight harness to one of the aftermarket ones. It just uses the switch to trigger the lights instead of powering then through the switch.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Check fuses first! Your cigarette lighter shouldn't have anything to do with your headlight switch, unless someone hacked the harness. Also, the actual cigarette lighter element could of coincidentally burned out, they will do that. Sounds like you need a new headlight switch though, regardless.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had a mid 80's square that had a poor fusible link connection and the headlights would flicker. I'm a big fan of checking for poor grounds and hidden harness insulation cracks.

chuckmac_7

Reaction score
First Name
chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Okay I swapped headlight switches with a new one, headlights still aren’t working, I checked all the fuses that are under the dashboard, is there any other fuse locations? where should I go from here , Prariedrifter, on LMC Chevy truck website , do I get the heavy duty headlight harness with the single option or dual?

chuckmac_7

Reaction score
First Name
chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Okay when I pull the headlights switch to turn them on I lose cigarette lighter power, but If I turn it off my cigarette lighter works, same with my interior headlamp it only works with the light switch off .

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Okay I swapped headlight switches with a new one, headlights still aren’t working, I checked all the fuses that are under the dashboard, is there any other fuse locations? where should I go from here , Prariedrifter, on LMC Chevy truck website , do I get the heavy duty headlight harness with the single option or dual?
Do you have four headlights or two? That'll decide whether you need single or dual. Sounds to me like a short to power, maybe some melted wires. The only fuses on these trucks are the fusible links on the passenger side of the engine, and the regular fuses under the dash.

There's a ground location with multiple grounds above the parking brake pedal that should be checked. As well as said above, other grounds, make sure the one on the passenger side head to the firewall is there.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
My 84 GMC K1500 did this the other day. Coincidencidentally the starter went out shortly after. I noticed a thick blue wire on the starter solenoid was heavily frayed and hanging by a thread. I put a new ring connector on it, and now all my lights are back. I don't understand why this happened, but it did.

Goodguy

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Check/clean your grounds on the radiator support both RH and LH. The negative battery cable should have a wire going to the radiator support If not, that is causing the problem. The taillights are grounded through a different location. This site and other offers wiring diagrams which can be downloaded. That and a voltmeter will be helpful in diagnosis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey