1980 C10 Custom Deluxe sputters at 35 mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MacAgent

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Help needed! My C10 is bogging/sputtering at 35 mph and when I let off the throttle, the pickup seems fine and will advance and do repeat at 45 mph.

I’ve changed out the plugs, wires, distributor, new fuel pump, blew the fuels lines out, and replaced all vacuum lines and fuel filter going to the carb, and the 2 barrel Rochester fully rebuilt.

Issue happened before all the changes and continues after. Put a clear fuel filter and with hood off and driving I observed the fuel dropping a little when hitting the throttle and experiencing the bogging/sputter. I’m at a loss in what to do next. Any advice is appreciated.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Anything is possible, timing over advanced could cause a lot of drivability problems. Check both total and initial. So you did check pressure and volume? If float level is very low could also cause issues. Although at cruise metering rods should down were they checked for movement through the bowl vent using a small screwdriver? What about the EGR valve, try disconnecting vacuum supply and road test.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
It Could be the fuel pump cam lobe be to worn to pump adequately Or it's sucking air from somewhere. Maybe try an electric pump inline as a test. Or pull from auxiliary tank with your current pump with one single hose strait to auxiliary tank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad