1977 K20 Silverado Drive belt tensioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Igram

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So, i just picked up a 77 K20 Silverado, small block, 4 spd, 205 T case..........Doesnt burn or leak any oil, runs smooth, shifts easily, stops, starts, turns pretty well......When i bought it, P/S squealed horrible on any sharp, low speed turn....Upon close inspection, a header install had deleted the bracket that tensions the P/S pump, and the belt was really loose......In my garage/shop i found a piece of 1"x3/16" flat stock, some 3/4" square tubing. looking at the engine, on the front of the drivers side cylinder head, two threaded bosses for some sort of bracketry, and after a little fabrication, ive now got a well tensioned, properly aligned P/S pump thats perfectly quiet......Speedo, Gas gauge, Temp, gauge lighting all inoperative, but at least my lights, signals, heater/defrost all work, and ive got a decent looking K20 that i think i will enjoy

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Speedo, Gas gauge, Temp, gauge lighting all inoperative.

My truck was off the road for 10 years prior to my purchase of it. I had the same issue with the dash lights except for the one for the A/C controls. Turns out, they were all burnt out! I replaced them all with the correct 168 bulbs and everything works again, including my 4WD light.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamnTexan77