1973 AMC Hornet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
So this one belongs to one of my sons friends, Jacob.
He sold a Jeep Cherokee and found this one appealing to him and he purchased it a couple years ago.
You must be registered for see images attach

Just this week a cool review of his car was put out on to the YouTubes...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's really cool. I've actually watched some of that guy's videos before too.

And that steering! Golly! Were they all that horrible ratio? I've driven a couple of them in the past I do believe, but don't remember the slow steering. Or maybe I just didn't think much of it then.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
So this one belongs to one of my sons friends, Jacob.
He sold a Jeep Cherokee and found this one appealing to him and he purchased it a couple years ago.

Just this week a cool review of his car was put out on to the YouTubes...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Back in the early '70s the company bought a lot of those Hornets, 1973s and 1974s. The meter readers used them. We had our own fuel pumps then, regular leaded fuel. Knowing unleaded fuel was coming, the company did not buy any '75 or '76 cars to give time to get the pumps and tanks switched over. Most of them had the 232 6 cylinders.

I would guess that Jacob's AMC does not have power steering, with power steering it would have a Saginaw variable ratio box. Very amassing it still has it's Hornet fuel cap! We bought so many replacements, finally just bought plain, plated steel caps.

Please tell Jacob to look close at the rear lower shock mounts. They will crack, then tear off. Also the shorter water pump mounting bolt goes in the center top hole. Put in one of the longer bolts and run it home will crack #1 cylinder wall.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Back in the early '70s the company bought a lot of those Hornets, 1973s and 1974s. The meter readers used them. We had our own fuel pumps then, regular leaded fuel. Knowing unleaded fuel was coming, the company did not buy any '75 or '76 cars to give time to get the pumps and tanks switched over. Most of them had the 232 6 cylinders.

I would guess that Jacob's AMC does not have power steering, with power steering it would have a Saginaw variable ratio box. Very amassing it still has it's Hornet fuel cap! We bought so many replacements, finally just bought plain, plated steel caps.

Please tell Jacob to look close at the rear lower shock mounts. They will crack, then tear off. Also the shorter water pump mounting bolt goes in the center top hole. Put in one of the longer bolts and run it home will crack #1 cylinder wall.
Correct with the non power steering.

I will let him know about the shock mounts for sure.
It is a super clean car and he is just the right nerd to own it as he wants to keep it fairly stock or easily put back to stock.

He does want to up the power a bit and plans to yank the stock engine and put a more powerful 6 in its place.
I am sure the stock power plant will be put into a dark corner for safe keeping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes