15s on Dayna 60 front axle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have an 85 4X4 with a 14 bolt rear and what I think is a Dayna 60 front. Its all 8 lug bolt pattern but I just got the truck and have not drove it home yet "Its sitting at brother in laws house" The axles are matching and came from the same truck. I know the 15s wont fit the rear on the 14 bolt but will they fit the front? 15s are a little cheaper and I plant on doing a disc swap in the rear which should fix the fit issue with the rear. Otherwise I am just going to go to a 17" 15s seam to stay on the bead better when wheeling with low air pressure than the 17s. I live near a huge sand dune rec area and you really need to air down to around 8-12 LBs were we go wheeling. I am running 35s and for the price of 17" tires I can get a set of 15" tires and rims for just about the same price.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
15's without too much backspacing should fit on the rear. Also, you need to figure out what axles you actually have. Does the rear axle have full floating hubs (8 bolts in the center opening of the wheel) or just regular axle shafts riding on bearings in the axle housing?

Chances are, your front axle is a Dana 44 or a GM 10 bolt. They would have ball joints to mount the steering knuckles, the housing mounted to the springs with 4 U-bolts (one larger than the rest) and a steering arm held on with 3 big studs. A Dana 60 would only have 3 U-bolts (and 2 studs) and the knuckles would be mounted with kingpins. The steering arm would be bolted to the knuckle with 4 smaller studs (top of kingpin).

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
This is the only pic I have of the front axle. It has 8 bolts in the back with a plate on the rear axle.

Attachments

• Front axle.jpg
    Front axle.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 136

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
So it looks like I have a floating 14 bolt and a dana 44 in the front then. Looks like I am just going to get a set of 16s anyways and step down to a 33" from my 35s. Decided to just go a little cheep on some tires for a while cuz I am saving for a NV4500 swap. Thanks for the help. Probably not doing the tires tell the transmission swap now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade