Opinions on D70 closed knuckle front axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KnockingDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello all,

I’m currently looking at 74 three-quarter ton square body that had a IH Dana 70 closed knuckle axle swapped in front. I know absolutely nothing about them after a little research it seems that they’re not really desirable and not much aftermarket for them if any. What are your opinions on it? I just found out that Zach existed today after looking at the truck, so any comments, concerns, information will be helpful thank you.

Also, what would one be worth?

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Dud.
They are prone to leaking.
When they get water into the axle bearing races, the race rusts and spins inside the tubing and cannot be rebuilt, without cutting and refabricating the tubes.
Had one given to me and had it sent to the bone yard, after researching all the threads warning me not to build it.

If the short side Axle Constant Velocity joint goes bad, (it looks like a U-Joint), it ruptures the case ends and the seals and spins the races too.

The lack of aftermarket support tells you all you need to know.

No idea what you are speaking about with your last sentence.

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Yep. Meh.

KnockingDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Dud.
They are prone to leaking.
When they get water into the axle bearing races, the race rusts and spins inside the tubing and cannot be rebuilt, without cutting and refabricating the tubes.
Had one given to me and had it sent to the bone yard, after researching all the threads warning me not to build it.

If the short side Axle Constant Velocity joint goes bad, (it looks like a U-Joint), it ruptures the case ends and the seals and spins the races too.

The lack of aftermarket support tells you all you need to know.

No idea what you are speaking about with your last sentence.
Thank you for the reply.

I was wondering if there was any value to it but you answered my question when you said you sent one to the scrap yard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad