Thoughts & opinions on mounting speakers in front doors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
So I come up with a couple of nice speakers and enclosures out of my '92' Suburban off the second doors. Have been giving this some thought over the last few days because by doing what I'm considering I have to cut into a perfectly good door panel so there's no going back after that. Just looking for some thoughts and opinions about this. I have been wanting to upgrade the sounds for awhile without spending a lot on it and now I have these, can't hurt to add them somewhere, right? The speakers in the rear cab corners work fine, but I still need to replace the big speaker in the dash. TIA
You must be registered for see images attach
This is what I've been thinking. The passengers door panel is shown.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Just mount them. I wouldn't cut anything.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Just mount them. I wouldn't cut anything.

Would be the ideal situation but the speaker magnets project a good 1/2 inch past the bottoms of their enclosures so a circular hole is necessary in the panel.:cheers:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I vote no cutting!

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
If you’re gonna do sound,I’d definitely go with 6x9s.Just my opinion.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Would be the ideal situation but the speaker magnets project a good 1/2 inch past the bottoms of their enclosures so a circular hole is necessary in the panel.:cheers:

Alright.
3/4" plywood spacer with a cutout for the magnet.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I pull the pockets off the door panels, and screw them back on down lower on the carpet at the bottom. Then cut a hole in the door panels for the speakers.
When I've sold the trucks, I pulled the speakers, and moved the door pockets back to the original location.

Speaker holes don't show, and neither does the screw holes in the carpet where the pockets were mounted.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I pull the pockets off the door panels, and screw them back on down lower on the carpet at the bottom. Then cut a hole in the door panels for the speakers.
When I've sold the trucks, I pulled the speakers, and moved the door pockets back to the original location.

Speaker holes don't show, and neither does the screw holes in the carpet where the pockets were mounted.

Excellent solution, kind of what I was thinking last night. Just took awhile for the idea to come through the fog. lol:cheers:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Here's my 2 Cents. If you have a non-power window set up, definitely 6x9's in the bottom of the doors, a second pair in the rear cab corners with some tweeters high on the door or dash.

In your case, I thought about doing something similar with my '85. I don't have any issues cutting up a new door panel. The only issue I could think of with mounting speakers on the door panel, even with the later model mounts, is there no real structure to hold the speaker. This may cause the speaker to just vibrate and not produce "good" sound. My thought was to add some type of wood spacer ring behind the door panel that is attached to the door frame to create a solid mount that the speaker can screw to.

Lastly, if you choose to add a 6" speaker to the lower section of the door with power windows, it needs to be mounted as far forward as you can in the door due to the lift assembly. On my very first Square (1989) my stereo shop did this.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Excellent solution, kind of what I was thinking last night. Just took awhile for the idea to come through the fog. lol:cheers:
I forgot to to say, I used 4"x 6" plate speakers in the doors, with 6"x 9s" in the back.
Some speakers might be too deep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL