15-16V voltmeter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So i replaced my starter today.
Cranked it with the new starter, and voltage drops to 8 volts right away when cranking, let off, it goes back to 13. (according to volt gauge)
Jumped it with another car, other car was running and i hooked up the jumpers and the voltmeter went up to like 16ish when they were hooked up. I cranked it, and it dropped to 8. Eventually after a little while of not wanting to even fire, she started, i got her all warmed up and drove around, and the gauge still reading 15-16V
Also, i found the ground wire going to the radiator support on the passenger side is a little melted on the insulation and where you can see wire, a little corroded, would this have anything to do with it?

why would it do this?

Thanks!

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I had this same issue year or so ago. Ended up being the positive battery cable.start by changing both battery cables. And take the charging wire on the alternator and run it straight to the positive batt terminal.first go through and "clean all your grounds

Sent from the dust in front of you!

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ugh i just had the positive cable off with the starter, was a real pain to get at with the headers i have.
Could this be caused by that ground cable? It's actually quite corroded, but looks like its still ok

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
It's in your case likely a combo of both. You see the corroded insides of the positive and negative batt cable cause it to loss connection with the alternator thus full- fielding. Simple test question do you notice your Windows go up fast?

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Whats full fielding?
And, i can't see the positive cable, on the exterior, it looks fine, and it was replaced a couple years ago according to the PO
And, manual windows, so the test doesnt work lol

Thanks!

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
They can " look good" but be bad inside. Hey it could be something else... are your headlights super bright? Heater fan push out lots of air while on high speed?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's also a good idea to verify actual voltage with a multi-meter. Unless I misread, all readings were with the factory gauge?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Positive Batt to starter cables don't really like headers to much either! Make sure the cable is tucked nicely away from those headers

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Simple test question do you notice your Windows go up fast?

I cant remember, are the windows fed from the same power feed as the lights ?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Either way It's going to show the same results if he is seeing that amount of voltage. I'm sure @chengny or @89Suburban is better suited to answer your question... probably could provide schematics too :)

Last edited:

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Oh and also, would the fact that i hooked up the jumper cables going from my other car to the truck have anything to do with it?
At first, it didn't want to start, and had 13 volts normally, then i hooked up the jumper cables, and it jumped up to 15-16 and has stayed that way since.

And yes, all readings are with factory gauge

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yea mine did the same didn't want to start. I sent back my year old starter back to summit under the assumption that the starter had list it's torque. Got the new one did the same thing. Changed the positive batt cable and bam back in action :) it looked great... so I went ahead and changed the rest of the cables and upgraded them all to 4 gauge welding cable

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Oh and also, would the fact that i hooked up the jumper cables going from my other car to the truck have anything to do with it?
At first, it didn't want to start, and had 13 volts normally, then i hooked up the jumper cables, and it jumped up to 15-16 and has stayed that way since.

And yes, all readings are with factory gauge

If your battery to starter cable is the problem/ not delivering sufficient voltage and amps, Then you hook up jumper cables to your battery, You are still relying on the bad cable to deliver the voltage to the starter, So in reality hooking up the jumpers has not changed the issue, Thus you did not notice any difference in your end result.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yea mine did the same didn't want to start. I sent back my year old starter back to summit under the assumption that the starter had list it's torque. Got the new one did the same thing. Changed the positive batt cable and bam back in action :) it looked great... so I went ahead and changed the rest of the cables and upgraded them all to 4 gauge welding cable

If your battery to starter cable is the problem/ not delivering sufficient voltage and amps, Then you hook up jumper cables to your battery, You are still relying on the bad cable to deliver the voltage to the starter, So in reality hooking up the jumpers has not changed the issue, Thus you did not notice any difference in your end result.

Everything was normal prior to putting jumper cables on

The cable wouldn't have "gone bad" in that hour in between putting on a new starter and hooking up jumper cables.
I put the new starter on, it cranked engine and everything, voltage macxed out at 13.
Hooked up jumper cables, as soon as i did voltage jumped to 15 or so, stayed that way since.

Theres a good chance its not the positive cables because of this

And:

Can i drive how it is? Whats bad about it/what can i do?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04