10 bolt rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So, I took my truck to a shop to have u joints replaced and a leak in differential fixed. I get a call the next with the saying the differential has 27 degrees of play! Today, they call with an estimate, and it'll run me about 1500 for them to rebuild it. Holy crap, I was not expecting that! Shop is looking for a good used unit now. Hopefully that'll cost a lot less!

What should I expect to pay for a used rear end?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
First thing I would do is verify that it is ring and pinion lash and not just slop in the side and spider gears...... Slop in the side and spiders means you have a lot of time left to look for an axle and save up some cash. It's worth your time to look into it further.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
First thing I would do is verify that it is ring and pinion lash and not just slop in the side and spider gears...... Slop in the side and spiders means you have a lot of time left to look for an axle and save up some cash. It's worth your time to look into it further.

Thanks, man! How am I to know the difference?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
As for price, $100-$200 is a going range for my area. Currently, personally have one for sale for $200 obo.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Thanks! That's encouraging! If that's all it is, I'll go ahead and have them replace it.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Thanks, man! How am I to know the difference?

The cover needs to be off to check it but basicaly you turn the pinion and see how far it turns before the ring gear moves. Then see how much play is in the side and spider gears. This little video shows the play I am referring to.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0boH6WIs7Yw

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
5-11 degrees is typical tolerance range of a new r&p setup, 14 degrees max for a used setup. 27 degrees may not have knifed the gears too bad depending how long it has been ran like that but hard to tell without looking at it. It would be nice to just shim the carrier a little closer to the pinion and check the mesh pattern. If that would do it, it would just be a couple hours labor and no parts expense since you would just be rearranging shims that are already on either side of the carrier. If the pinion would have to be reset to make the pattern right the expense would just be a shim or two and a crush sleeve and another hour or two labor. If the gears are severely knifed and debris in the oil they would want to replace bearings and all. That would be around $400 in parts and at least 4 hours labor, at I'm guessing $150/hour being a fair rate in my area at least. If this isn't your daily driver and you have some mechanical know-how you could do it, but there are some specialty tools required. A high-torque impact wrench, dial indicator, micrometer, bearing press, and inch/pound and foot/pound torque wrenches.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I have to ask:
Has the cover been removed for a visual inspection?

Is there debris in the bottom of the housing?

Has there been a visual inspection for knifed gears and lash in the differential gears?

There may not be a real issue here at all. More info is needed to make a call on it.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The only thing shop has said about rear end is that it's not making any noise. I'm going over there this afternoon to have a look at it myself.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So, just got off the phone with shop. They said differential needs new spider gears. So, total cost for u joints, pinion seal, and tack weld ball joint socket will be about 700. So, I'm going with it. Hopefully I'll get the truck back next week.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
So, just got off the phone with shop. They said differential needs new spider gears. So, total cost for u joints, pinion seal, and tack weld ball joint socket will be about 700. So, I'm going with it. Hopefully I'll get the truck back next week.

And there you go!

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Got the truck back today! Man, does it run smooth now! Truck used to vibrate so bad, all 3 mirrors shook. Glad it's back!

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
$700 seems reasonable. I'd guess 4-6 hours labor if the shop has a lift and a guy who's familiar with GM rear axles. Heck I'd rather replace spider gears than u-joints!

Make sure they replace the axle seals while they're in their. And I'd probably spring for axle bearings. Probably no more than an additional $30 parts and 30 minutes labor.

Whoops, just noticed you got the truck back. Glad everything worked out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man