6.2 diesel to 396 swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Could also just use the powerglide, remove the front driveshaft and Tcase like @rpcraft suggested, and build yourself up a long travel, linked and on coilover suspension prerunner k5

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
So I should shoot for a 700r4? Cause I need the 4wd and I already thought I would just scratch the 2 speed idea. Hopefully my buddies dad has all the brackets and stuff...

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So I should shoot for a 700r4? Cause I need the 4wd and I already thought I would just scratch the 2 speed idea. Hopefully my buddies dad has all the brackets and stuff...

What are you planning on doing with the truck? Myself and most others would recommend keeping the TH400.

1. You already have one
2. It will work with no modifications
3. its a very though transmission

A 700r4 will get better mpg if you are doing a lot of highway driving. However, will not live too long behind that motor, without needing rebuilt frequently and considerably built up. Plus if changing from a th400 to a 7004r you will need a different tcase as the one behind the th400 has a different spline input shaft then the 700r4s output shaft.

Your best bet would be to stay with the Th400 and have it rebuilt like HotRod said before.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Just me, but I'd ditch that water pump too(sell it). Those are great for the track, but if you run it, you're gonna need to put in electric fans, and your belts are going to be different. If I remember correctly, the lower hose fitting is a different size too(someone correct me there,if I'm wrong)

Like others have said, I would just try to buy all the accesories and pulleys at once. You might be able to snag a used pump(buy a new one) with the fan and clutch. Probably make your life much easier all the way around....

BTW-welcome! Where abouts in Oregon are you?

Last edited:

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Alright so I’m pretty sure he has all of the adapters and such, and if so I will probably just keep that pump and run the setup he had. I’m gonna put it up to the turbo 400 for the meantime while I save for another (I’m 17). And I think the tranny I have is past the point of a rebuild it’s so bad.

beest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Dont be scared to rebuild that th400 yourself. Me and a buddy were rebuilding those and th350s when we were your age. Just get the kit mentioned in a previous post and give it a shot. Worst case you put it back in, and you havta pull it out and tear it back down to see what you got wrong. If we could do it, you can.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Dont be scared to rebuild that th400 yourself. Me and a buddy were rebuilding those and th350s when we were your age. Just get the kit mentioned in a previous post and give it a shot. Worst case you put it back in, and you havta pull it out and tear it back down to see what you got wrong. If we could do it, you can.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
The thing is I feel like it’s gonna have to be torn completely apart. It’s snaps your neck when in shift, it’s super delayed putting it into drive and reverse and clunks when you do, and it shift into third at like 50...

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
The thing is I feel like it’s gonna have to be torn completely apart. It’s snaps your neck when in shift, it’s super delayed putting it into drive and reverse and clunks when you do, and it shift into third at like 50...
When was the last time it was serviced? What’s the fluid look like?

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
What motor mounts do you guys recomend I get?

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
350/Th400, 4.56 with 35" BFG MT
Alright so I’m pretty sure he has all of the adapters and such, and if so I will probably just keep that pump and run the setup he had. I’m gonna put it up to the turbo 400 for the meantime while I save for another (I’m 17). And I think the tranny I have is past the point of a rebuild it’s so bad.
Your truck has survived the past 33 years. I wouldn't say anything is ever past the point of rebuilding. Don't be intimidated. You will learn as you go and there's a tremendous amount of information and help out there.

Take the advice of those who have gone there before you. You have a diesel that needs work and you don't want to keep. Someone is offering you a 396. You have the right transmission and set up. All you need to do is put in the work and get it all together.

Start by making a list of what you need and work your way down the list. Batting around ideas will create more chaos in your head than it will help you build a sweet ride.

I would start with motor mounts and getting the new motor in the truck. Then rebuilding the transmission. Get it starting, stopping and steering and then work your way down the list of little things.

And like Doug said....I personally would swap out the water pump and just throw a clutch fan on it.

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Your truck has survived the past 33 years. I wouldn't say anything is ever past the point of rebuilding. Don't be intimidated. You will learn as you go and there's a tremendous amount of information and help out there.

Take the advice of those who have gone there before you. You have a diesel that needs work and you don't want to keep. Someone is offering you a 396. You have the right transmission and set up. All you need to do is put in the work and get it all together.

Start by making a list of what you need and work your way down the list. Batting around ideas will create more chaos in your head than it will help you build a sweet ride.

I would start with motor mounts and getting the new motor in the truck. Then rebuilding the transmission. Get it starting, stopping and steering and then work your way down the list of little things.

And like Doug said....I personally would swap out the water pump and just throw a clutch fan on it.
I realize all of this, the point of this thread was to get tips to what to do, as well as get help picking the parts I need. Thanks for the help

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
350/Th400, 4.56 with 35" BFG MT
I would start with the engine. Borrow a cherry picker and get the old diesel out. Clean up the engine compartment and get it ready for the new power plant. Get your engine mounts and exhaust manifolds.

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
I would start with the engine. Borrow a cherry picker and get the old diesel out. Clean up the engine compartment and get it ready for the new power plant. Get your engine mounts and exhaust manifolds.
That was exactly my plan. The motor has headers but they are HUGE and idk if I can get them to fit. They go to like a 4 or 5 inch out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm