6.2 diesel to 396 swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dooley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RW
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
No you don't have too. You just have an option that did not come on gas models. Whether you keep it or swap to the booster means nothing other than preference.
A$$

Stop telling people that the hydraboost brakes only came with a diesel.
That is wrong.
Every 30 series GM light truck I have had since 1973, most all gas engine equipped, were equipped with hydraboost brakes.
The hard part for this swap is finding the lower power steering pump mounting bracket for big block.

If you plan to run a mechanical fuel pump here is the link to the one you will need.
It's a short can and allows clearance for the frame.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-M4530/

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Tis true. 1 tons came with Hydroboost whether gas or diesel. There are also different belt configurations which means there is different bracketry. Some big blocks even have external tanks for the PS pump as mine does. Then you have to factor in AC compressor if it's an AC truck or not. Not going to be fun to source the bracketry for that 396 that looks to have come out of a boat.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Stop telling people that the hydraboost brakes only came with a diesel.
That is wrong.
Every 30 series GM light truck I have had since 1973, most all gas engine equipped, were equipped with hydraboost brakes.
The hard part for this swap is finding the lower power steering pump mounting bracket for big block.

If you plan to run a mechanical fuel pump here is the link to the one you will need.
It's a short can and allows clearance for the frame.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-M4530/

You must be registered for see images attach
What's the deal with dual alternators on this one???

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Tis true. 1 tons came with Hydroboost whether gas or diesel. There are also different belt configurations which means there is different bracketry. Some big blocks even have external tanks for the PS pump as mine does. Then you have to factor in AC compressor if it's an AC truck or not. Not going to be fun to source the bracketry for that 396 that looks to have come out of a boat.
It was actually never in a boat. Wrong info. And mine had the external tank too... so my question is how am I gonna mount that pump to the 396/ if I get another one for the 396 how will the hydro boost be hooked up?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That does appear that it will work. So long as you have all the brackets and the pulleys that go with those brackets then all the belts should line up just fine since it's a kit.

As far as hyrdoboost, your power steering pump should mount and drive just like any other power steering pump would. The difference is going to be a return line stub on the back of the power steering pump tank which is going to be the return from the hydroboost unit. The hydroboost just hooks up inline with the steering box the only exception being that the hydroboost has it's own low pressure return to the ps pump resevoir.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It was actually never in a boat. Wrong info. And mine had the external tank too... so my question is how am I gonna mount that pump to the 396/ if I get another one for the 396 how will the hydro boost be hooked up?
My bad then. Must have been in a stricktly race car then. I'd find it hard to believe that water pump went to a daily street driven set up.

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
My bad then. Must have been in a stricktly race car then. I'd find it hard to believe that water pump went to a daily street driven set up.
It was a race motor

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
What torque converter should I get? What stall speed? It’s a 430 hp 500ft 396. Th400. Not sure the axle gearing.

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Big race cam also...

beest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
What torque converter should I get? What stall speed? It’s a 430 hp 500ft 396. Th400. Not sure the axle gearing.
Depends alot on the cam. Ask the guy you got it from what stall he used. That would be a good place to start.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Depends alot on the cam. Ask the guy you got it from what stall he used. That would be a good place to start.

He is isn’t sure. Does about 3k sound right? A little less? A little more?

beest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thats a good chunk of change to spend, not knowing if its the correct torque converter for your cam profile.

Somtimes there are part #s on the end of the cam. Right behind the timing chain sproket. I would look before i spent $$$ on a tc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat