6.2 diesel to 396 swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Hey everyone, I’m new to the forum. I have an 84 k5 blazer with a clapped 6.2 diesel. My buddy has a built 396 that makes 435 hp that I am putting in it. It also has a 2 speed hydro glide that I’m gonna put in temporarily. What all am I gonna need for the swap? Is it just like a 454 swap?

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
350/Th400, 4.56 with 35" BFG MT
I'd start buy getting a brake booster. And I think I would look for a transmission. 396 would eat up that hydroglide.

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
I’m pretty sure it’s a built drag tranny. The motor and tranny were raced...

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Keep the hydraboost!!!! And I think you mean Powerglide. If it’s built keep it, nothing like 90mph shifts to 2nd gear. And yes same deal as a 454. You could also mount it to the Th400 that already lives there, if that’s what’s in it. What year is the block.

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
It does have a th400 but it’s completly shot, it lags and shifts hard as a ****. I believe the motor was in a boat and than it was pulled and built. He said it makes about 435 hp and 500 ft tq. And it is a power glide my bad. Will that tranny bolt up? Not to the motor but will it fit nicely in he truck?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
It does have a th400 but it’s completly shot, it lags and shifts hard as a ****. I believe the motor was in a boat and than it was pulled and built. He said it makes about 435 hp and 500 ft tq. And it is a power glide my bad. Will that tranny bolt up? Not to the motor but will it fit nicely in he truck?
You will have to slide the trans cross member forward and drill new holes. And get another driveshaft

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
Keep the hydraboost!!!! And I think you mean Powerglide. If it’s built keep it, nothing like 90mph shifts to 2nd gear. And yes same deal as a 454. You could also mount it to the Th400 that already lives there, if that’s what’s in it. What year is the block.
Are you a fan of the hydraboost? Only problem really is if you ever lose power steering pump you lose brake assist.

90 in two gears is great for straight shot go fast but would suck like a dirty street blonde for daily driving (even if temporary)

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Are you a fan of the hydraboost? Only problem really is if you ever lose power steering pump you lose brake assist.

90 in two gears is great for straight shot go fast but would suck like a dirty street blonde for daily driving (even if temporary)
My engine makes very little vacuum, biggish cam. I swapped in hydraboost into my half ton. No real difference if the engine stalls you’ll lose power assist to steering and brakes.

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
My engine makes very little vacuum, biggish cam. I swapped in hydraboost into my half ton. No real difference if the engine stalls you’ll lose power assist to steering and brakes.
Only reason I bring it up is I just went through this argument with my brother on Saturday. I have one of each. I was going to go with the hydraboost for the fact that it would be less on my vacuum and less to run with my HVAC door acutators....And that it is smaller and takes up less room on the firewall.

His come back was if PS belt snaps you loose power assist to brakes....And could be in an inopportune time.

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Wait, I won’t lose power steering and brakes will I? And my daily driving isn’t typical it’s more like drivin 4 minutes into town and there’s no traffic or anything...

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
All the brake talk is really just me trying to talk around being jealous that I don't have the 396. LOL

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
Wait, I won’t lose power steering and brakes will I? And my daily driving isn’t typical it’s more like drivin 4 minutes into town and there’s no traffic or anything...
No you won't. We were just saying that since diesels don't create the vacuum that gasoline engines do, the diesel models came with a brake assist that is powered by the power steering pump. Was more of a discussion on which one to utilize.

Has nothing to do with you getting BBC and me not having one.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
All the brake talk is really just me trying to talk around being jealous that I don't have the 396. LOL
Don’t be jealous he may not either depending on the year it is lol. No offense OP but just because it said 396 on the fender doesn’t mean that’s what it was. I know you said it was in a boat but it started life in a car at some point. As far as hydraboost the brake apply pressure is much higher. No real difference losing a belt vs. the engine shutting off. You have a couple pumps but with hydraboost you have more brake force at your disposal. If your swapping in HB make sure you have the HB pedal you’ll need it, it’s different then vacuum assist pedal.

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
So now I’m confused, when I swap it I have to buy a brake booster for a gas, correct? What about power steering.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
No you won't. We were just saying that since diesels don't create the vacuum that gasoline engines do, the diesel models came with a brake assist that is powered by the power steering pump. Was more of a discussion on which one to utilize.

Has nothing to do with you getting BBC and me not having one.
I have a couple. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tporter79