6.2 diesel to 396 swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
So here’s our problem. When I go to start it after it’s been sitting the fuel can’t be sucked threw the fuel filter, like the pump doesn’t have enough power. So we pressurized the tank to get it to the carb than depressurized and it started and ran just fine. Bad fuel pump?
Could be but what filter is this? The efi filters user better filters that block bigger particles that will damage efi, where as carb filters aren't so refined before the pump. This could be your problem if you used an efi filter. If not where did this filter come from and how old is the pump?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So you've gone from Diesel to Gas right? Any tank changes made? And you're positive you have the fuel return and canister purge lines correct and not reversed. To be honest, I'm not even sure what he diesel tanks have as far as return or evap. And what year is your truck? Earlier models didn't have Evap canister purge device anyway and I much doubt the diesel trucks had it either since it's intent was to recover gasoline fumes. But, just make sure you're positive the lines are correct and if dual tanks, you don't have any air leaks or cracks at the hoses at the switching vavle. It's farily common to get cracks in those little hoses between the bed and the cab on those short rubber lines.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Could be but what filter is this? The efi filters user better filters that block bigger particles that will damage efi, where as carb filters aren't so refined before the pump. This could be your problem if you used an efi filter. If not where did this filter come from and how old is the pump?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
And this for sure. Because EFI uses higher pressure, the filters are also made tougher so they don't collapse under higher pressure. While this is a good thing, it also makes them a bit harder to draw fuel through for a weak pump in comparison to an EFI pump that's pushing fuel at 14-18lbs instead of pulling fuel at 5-8 lbs, so being sure you have the correct filter for a Carb system can make a difference also. Some will disagree with me on that, but try it yourself someday when you get to the filter isle at an auto parts store. Blow through an EFI filter and then a Carb filter and then tell me there isn't a difference.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I have always been told that 'BLOW" is a figure of speech!! LOL

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Alright so. When I’m at highway speeds there’s blue smoke on deceleration ... and the spark plug keeps getting oily. Valve seals right? Well I replaced them with fresh umbrella seals and it still does it... guides?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Alright so. When I’m at highway speeds there’s blue smoke on deceleration ... and the spark plug keeps getting oily. Valve seals right? Well I replaced them with fresh umbrella seals and it still does it... guides?
Just for ***** and giggles, replace your PCV valve and see if it makes a difference.

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Just for ***** and giggles, replace your PCV valve and see if it makes a difference.
Just put one in. It didn’t have one when I got it. It still did it when I had

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko