6.2 diesel to 396 swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Okay so I’m caught up on the powersteering/hydro boost. So I cannot use the pump from the 6.2? How do I hook up the lines if I buy a different pump cause they don’t look the same at all...
I had the 6.2 pump with hydro on my 327. I went serpentine in my new setup. I got a ps pump from a 96 c3500 I think. It has dual return inlets and a single out just like the original cucv pump.

What’s the holdup with using the 6.2 ps pump on your setup?

As far as the pipe routing...iirc it the pressure outlet on the pump goes to the hydro boost, from the HB to the steering box. They both have dedicated returns to the reservoir.

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
I had the 6.2 pump with hydro on my 327. I went serpentine in my new setup. I got a ps pump from a 96 c3500 I think. It has dual return inlets and a single out just like the original cucv pump.

What’s the holdup with using the 6.2 ps pump on your setup?

As far as the pipe routing...iirc it the pressure outlet on the pump goes to the hydro boost, from the HB to the steering box. They both have dedicated returns to the reservoir.
It just looks nothing like the ones I find online. Also it won’t mount with the brackets from the 6.2

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
It just looks nothing like the ones I find online. Also it won’t mount with the brackets from the 6.2
You definitely need to get creative with the brackets. Are you going v belt or serpentine?

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
You definitely need to get creative with the brackets. Are you going v belt or serpentine?
V belt. I can find alternator and power steering brackets online. But I’m not sure what pump I should buy

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Maybe use your current pump and adapt the bracket to get it lined up right... As long as the pulley lines up with the correct groove on your crank pulley, you can find the right length belt. I’ll snap a picture of mine in the morning, although it was a sbc not bbc.

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Maybe use your current pump and adapt the bracket to get it lined up right... As long as the pulley lines up with the correct groove on your crank pulley, you can find the right length belt. I’ll snap a picture of mine in the morning, although it was a sbc not bbc.
Sounds good thanks

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
need to get creative with the brackets

^This. I ended up making my brackets to mount the 6.2 pump to the SBC I put in place of the diesel. Biggest thing is to make sure the belts line up straight, and the pump is supported enough so it will not move, wiggle, shake, or torque when the motor is revved up. Usually its best to have it bolted on the side, top, bottom, and rear of the pump to the head/block/water pump.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I had an emergency service call at 4:30 this morning for a water main break. I'll get you the pic as soon as I can. it basically involved some flat bar mild steel, a drill press and a welder. there are threaded holes in the head that you can use to anchor the steel to. then it's just a matter of getting the depth worked out to align the pulleys. there may be pics of my previous setup in my build thread. you could check if you get a minute in the meantime...

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Alright guys. So I got the motor in and running and took it for a test drive yesterday. I put a new carb and didn’t really tune it so it was deffintly running rich. It had new plugs. When I went to start it this morning it wouldn’t start. Do you think I might have foiled the plugs because it ran fine when I parked it but not when the engine cooled down

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Alright guys. So I got the motor in and running and took it for a test drive yesterday. I put a new carb and didn’t really tune it so it was deffintly running rich. It had new plugs. When I went to start it this morning it wouldn’t start. Do you think I might have foiled the plugs because it ran fine when I parked it but not when the engine cooled down

I wouldn't think the plugs would be fouled after one drive of the carb running rich. Easy enough to check though. Pull one plug hold the threaded part against the block with a pair of pliers, and have someone bump the starter over while you look for spark. Also check out your other basics. Fuel and compression. If we find one of these missing we will have more to go on.

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
I wouldn't think the plugs would be fouled after one drive of the carb running rich. Easy enough to check though. Pull one plug hold the threaded part against the block with a pair of pliers, and have someone bump the starter over while you look for spark. Also check out your other basics. Fuel and compression. If we find one of these missing we will have more to go on.
Got it to fire when it warmed up outside. Runs good when it warms up. Set the carb back to factory so we will see if it starts in the morning

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Got it to fire when it warmed up outside. Runs good when it warms up. Set the carb back to factory so we will see if it starts in the morning

Good deal :waytogo: being a race motor its probably pretty cold blooded. Out of curiosity what carb did you get for it and did you try adjusting the choke at all when it wouldn't start?

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Good deal :waytogo: being a race motor its probably pretty cold blooded. Out of curiosity what carb did you get for it and did you try adjusting the choke at all when it wouldn't start?
It’s the 1602 or whatever. No I didn’t touch the joke, just hooked it up

Austingulick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
So here’s our problem. When I go to start it after it’s been sitting the fuel can’t be sucked threw the fuel filter, like the pump doesn’t have enough power. So we pressurized the tank to get it to the carb than depressurized and it started and ran just fine. Bad fuel pump?

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So here’s our problem. When I go to start it after it’s been sitting the fuel can’t be sucked threw the fuel filter, like the pump doesn’t have enough power. So we pressurized the tank to get it to the carb than depressurized and it started and ran just fine. Bad fuel pump?

It very well could be. But I feel if the fuel pump was bad it would cause other running problems besides just this symptom. I'm not too knowledgeable about these fuel systems but @4WDKC @HotRodPC would be able help out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90sBurb