Winter Plans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
IIRC, the roundy round guys like to run short rods, right? That's going to side load the piston more and put more wear in the cylinder faster.

Dont know the displacement, but alot of guys are running 6" rods

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I dont care bout circle track engines. I care about the engine I will be runnin in this truck. Im askin for tips on an engine streetable but fast in an 87 Chevy R10. Not a Street Stock or Hobby Stock. They have rules I do not........ I know plenty of people in the dirt track scene. Ex g/f races 305 sprints............

All Im sayin is I want around 450/500............ Or 400/450....... Whats gonna work? What do I need?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't think you're gonna get there with a XE274 Cam motor.

So what happened on those power brakes and that cam? Is that cam really radical enough you don't have vacuum for brakes??? Was it installed straight up or did someone jack with the cam timing? With today's cam grind technology, I really don't see why anyone feels the need to go retarding or advancing cam timing.

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I don't think you're gonna get there with a XE274 Cam motor.

So what happened on those power brakes and that cam? Is that cam really radical enough you don't have vacuum for brakes??? Was it installed straight up or did someone jack with the cam timing? With today's cam grind technology, I really don't see why anyone feels the need to go retarding or advancing cam timing.

Ive decided to go custom grind when it all comes together.

I think my brake problem is Im runnin the booster off PCV port on carb. Bout to get an elbow for the manifold instead. Can I get there with Vortecs? I will be spraying also.

And driver4r in the stock class engine displacement is limited to 360cc. Late models are supposed to be sealed crate engines but I dont know much info on that class. Sprint and Modified is no rules just N/A and thru a carb.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I just think you're going to have a real hard time meeting your power goals. I know you don't want to spend the money stroking it, but I think it will be cheaper in the long run. Even if it doesn't end up cheaper and it works out about the same, you will have a truck that's a little more streetable but is still just as quick down the track.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ive decided to go custom grind when it all comes together.

I think my brake problem is Im runnin the booster off PCV port on carb. Bout to get an elbow for the manifold instead. Can I get there with Vortecs? I will be spraying also.

And driver4r in the stock class engine displacement is limited to 360cc. Late models are supposed to be sealed crate engines but I dont know much info on that class. Sprint and Modified is no rules just N/A and thru a carb.

For sure the PVC port can be the problem on the brake booster.
Vortecs will get you closer but with Vortecs unless you spend some bucks on machine work, the max lift is pretty low. Like .480 IIRC. To get where you want to be, you will probably be in the low .500's lift. .510-.525 or so and probably enough duration that yes, you will have brake booster vac problems then. The XE grinds I do like. They are very aggresive grinds, just that the XE274 is pretty small for what you're talking about doing ,but makes a great off-road or RV cam.

I just think you're going to have a real hard time meeting your power goals. I know you don't want to spend the money stroking it, but I think it will be cheaper in the long run. Even if it doesn't end up cheaper and it works out about the same, you will have a truck that's a little more streetable but is still just as quick down the track.

Remember, he's limited to 360 Cu In in his class, so stroker is out. He could go with a .060 over 350 and he's maxed out there, but I'd still keep as much meat as possible and stick with 355 Cu In @ .030 over. He did say he's spraying it, as in Giggly Juice, so he'll get close to his #'s with a well built bottom end, and a compression ratio safe enough for pump gas, since you never want to run high compression on the button. The combustion chamber would simply get way to hot and you'd literally melt or cook your rings. I'd say stay under the 9:1 compression ratio. He should be able to easily get to 350hp with Vortec heads on a 355 Cu In motor and a high duration .480 limit lift cam naturally all motor, then a light 100 shot of juice and he's now at 450hp, maybe even able to work on the solenoids and spray orfices a bit, get 125-150 shot and get up there closer to 500hp. However, do keep in mind, whatever Torque rating your at on the motor only is not going to change a whole lot with the Giggly Juice. Juice adds Hp, but it doesn't add alot of torque. Remember what Carol Shelby always said, and it's true, "Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races". And that is so true. Everyone gets impressed by high hp #'s and they forget all about torque.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Remember, he's limited to 360 Cu In in his class, so stroker is out.

I didn't think he was building for any certain class, that was a bit of an off-topic discussion?

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Yeah it was a off topic discussion on the class racing. Im just buildin this just because.

Without stroking, what will get me to 425hp/450tq?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbarham78