Windsheild Frame Rusted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Nice repair on the firewall, the windshield should be a walk in the park for ya!

Termite_Delight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
1976 1975
Truck Model
K2500 K2500
Engine Size
350 L33
Yes, It's well worth doing it right the first time. Keep up the good work.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@82TwoHeadlight,
You mean this is the cab with the rust around the windshield?? If you repaired the firewall as well as you did, you won't have any problem doing the other you need to do. Where did you get the firewall pieces? Did you make them? This truck appears to be in real good shape. Clean, very clean. It's in another truck, right?

OEMBent

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
82, was this a Texas truck with this much rust?

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
82, was this a Texas truck with this much rust?
Sigh. Yes. It was a super untouched truck when I found it. Original stickers, clips, clamps, hoses, and belts from the factory. The AC worked when I picked it up. It was an old farm truck from Cold Spring, Texas. 90k miles. The only visible rust was on the passenger front fender from the battery acid. I bought it right away without much thought or concern for rust. Lo and behold the floor mat got wet after the first wash. The cowl and firewall seam sealer failed and allowed the insulation to soak and rot the firewall. I guess some moisture got behind the windsheild seal as well and rotted through it. It's is a super clean original paint truck. Since I had to remove the engine and trans to repair the firewall I went ahead and put an upgraded motor and trans in it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@82TwoHeadlight,
You mean this is the cab with the rust around the windshield?? If you repaired the firewall as well as you did, you won't have any problem doing the other you need to do. Where did you get the firewall pieces? Did you make them? This truck appears to be in real good shape. Clean, very clean. It's in another truck, right?
I got the firewall pieces from two separate suburbans. This is the same truck with windsheild frame rust. I think I have a line on a solid windsheild frame. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Here's the truck the day I bought it and scrubbed it. It was really clean. A survivor.

You must be registered for see images attach

OEMBent

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
Well the good part is got a truck that was not molested. That is important to me in my search. I was just thinking that Texas would be dry enough the not have as much rust but I guess when things sit long enough or get old enough, it's inevitable.

I'm beginning to think that this era either needs extensive rust repair or has already had it done.

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well the good part is got a truck that was not molested. That is important to me in my search. I was just thinking that Texas would be dry enough the not have as much rust but I guess when things sit long enough or get old enough, it's inevitable.

I'm beginning to think that this era either needs extensive rust repair or has already had it done.

Rust on these trucks in the firewall and floors is a direct result of the design. I'm certain there are Californian trucks with rusty firewalls, floors and rockers. The seam sealer fails between the cowl and the firewall. Once water gets through the seam sealer the rust takes hold and works it's way down the carpet into the floor and rockers. There's just no way to keep it dry once the seam sealer fails. Having said that, not all trucks have failed seam sealer in this area. I've seen a handful that have survived, but the large majority have failed in this area. I've even seen trucks painted and advertised for sale as rust free that had damage in this area. You can't see it unless you know what you're looking for.
If anyone is preparing to buy a square body truck, do yourself a favor: put a water hose on the windsheild and run water for a couple of minutes. Go inside the truck and feel the toe board for water. This repair is VERY labor intensive and time consuming. Had I known this was an issue on my truck I NEVER would have bought it. After all the work I've done to fix it I could have easily saved a 67 - 72 cab, which is what i wanted anyway. Plus those older trucks have so many more repair panels available at the click of a mouse. A square body firewall and windshield repair REQUIRES a donor truck for factory fit replacement panels. No one in the aftermarket makes them.

OEMBent

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
Rust on these trucks in the firewall and floors is a direct result of the design. I'm certain there are Californian trucks with rusty firewalls, floors and rockers. The seam sealer fails between the cowl and the firewall. Once water gets through the seam sealer the rust takes hold and works it's way down the carpet into the floor and rockers. There's just no way to keep it dry once the seam sealer fails. Having said that, not all trucks have failed seam sealer in this area. I've seen a handful that have survived, but the large majority have failed in this area. I've even seen trucks painted and advertised for sale as rust free that had damage in this area. You can't see it unless you know what you're looking for.
If anyone is preparing to buy a square body truck, do yourself a favor: put a water hose on the windsheild and run water for a couple of minutes. Go inside the truck and feel the toe board for water. This repair is VERY labor intensive and time consuming. Had I known this was an issue on my truck I NEVER would have bought it. After all the work I've done to fix it I could have easily saved a 67 - 72 cab, which is what i wanted anyway. Plus those older trucks have so many more repair panels available at the click of a mouse. A square body firewall and windshield repair REQUIRES a donor truck for factory fit replacement panels. No one in the aftermarket makes them.

Interesting. And scary. My plan is to buy out of state since Indiana is not known for its lack of rust.

And on the rust prone areas, I know all too well. One of my jobs when I worked at the truck plant was to spray zinc chromate on rust prone/known areas; front of the hood and fenders. The "room" i worked in didn't have the cabs or beds come through. My guess is someone did what I did to the cab corners, rockers and areas on the bed.

Still didn't work, lol.

The more I read, look and learn the more I'm questioning if I should go down this road. I'm getting too old to want to tackle huge projects.

I have had a '69 and a '76. Neither had that much rust on them(no perforations), but that was a long time ago (over 30 years). I guess a lot has deteriorated since then.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I'm finding the 81 and up trucks with decent windshield areas and cowls up where I'm at, not terribly lucky finding solid 73-80 cabs that are good though. I'm afraid I'm going to have to buy a whole truck to get the sheet metal I need to fix mine. The other area to watch for is the top of the door jamb. The screws for the rain gutters tend to leak and the water must just sit up there doing it's magic.

OEMBent

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
I'm finding the 81 and up trucks with decent windshield areas and cowls up where I'm at, not terribly lucky finding solid 73-80 cabs that are good though. I'm afraid I'm going to have to buy a whole truck to get the sheet metal I need to fix mine. The other area to watch for is the top of the door jamb. The screws for the rain gutters tend to leak and the water must just sit up there doing it's magic.

Just my luck. I have my heart set on a 1978. Other options would be 73-77 and 79.

I think I missed the "window" at this point. I suppose I could look at 87 and go back, but they don't hold the sentimental attraction for me even though they are still squarebodys.

This idea has been a good dream for me but I can't bring myself to spend $30K on one already done up. This is going to be my daily driver. At that point I may as well buy a used(or heck at those prices even new) late model.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Just my luck. I have my heart set on a 1978. Other options would be 73-77 and 79.

I think I missed the "window" at this point. I suppose I could look at 87 and go back, but they don't hold the sentimental attraction for me even though they are still squarebodys.

This idea has been a good dream for me but I can't bring myself to spend $30K on one already done up. This is going to be my daily driver. At that point I may as well buy a used(or heck at those prices even new) late model.
Have you tried www.searchtempest.com?

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have. I searched the whole country for a 2wd, 73-79, max price $5K,no other filters and came up empty as far as something I would be interested in.
You'll find one. Facebook marketplace seems to have new listings everyday in my area. Refresh apps like offer up, facebook marketplace, and craigslist a couple of times a day. Stick to your budget and keep looking. When a 73-80 pops up for sale within your budget, don't sit and think about it. Be aggressive with the seller. Ask to view the truck right away. The good deals advertised on these apps can sell within an hour. Be ready, be quick, and if you're comfortable enough enough to do it show up with enough cash to make the seller pull the listing offline. You don't want to get in a bidding war with another buyer!

OEMBent

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
You'll find one. Facebook marketplace seems to have new listings everyday in my area. Refresh apps like offer up, facebook marketplace, and craigslist a couple of times a day. Stick to your budget and keep looking. When a 73-80 pops up for sale within your budget, don't sit and think about it. Be aggressive with the seller. Ask to view the truck right away. The good deals advertised on these apps can sell within an hour. Be ready, be quick, and if you're comfortable enough enough to do it show up with enough cash to make the seller pull the listing offline. You don't want to get in a bidding war with another buyer!

Thanks! I am beginning to think I may not be successful in this endeavor. Before I actually started looking I thought that I could go down south to Texas or somewhere in the southwest and pick up at least a roller that was rust free. I guess these trucks are old enough now that even down there, rust has caught up to them.

The listings I see lack the data needed for me to invest in a trip to see in person. Most listings lack photos of key areas that are prone to rust so immediately I am asking the seller for more pics and info. And if I find one that has solid cab corners, etc., I then want to know if they were replaced or not.

I don't have the ability to devout a lot of time searching. And then arranging a flight, renting a car hauler of some kind and bringing it back drives up the cost even more.

I think unless I happen to hear about one or come across one by happenstance, this journey will be short lived and unrealized for me.

I get it that if you want something bad enough, you'll do what needs to be done to accomplish the goal.

Don't mean to sound like I'm defeated, but I'm feeling that, lol. I'm not giving up yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400