Window ground question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uncle

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban
Engine Size
I followed the great posts already and I see where the ground bus is under the left side by the cluster. My question is, would it hurt anything to jumper the ground to the door panel?

I can run a ground jumper to the black wire on the door switch and everything works. I'm going to crawl under the dash in the morning but I need to know a plan B just in case.

Brian

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
You're not going to use the door jamb switch are you? It only grounds when the doors open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uncle

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban
Engine Size
No... I'm just looking for a place to grab a ground. With my 12v test light, the bulb just barely glows so I know it's not a good ground or the ground is just feedback from somewhere. I can run a dedicated jumper back to the battery and all the windows work. Lift the jumper and i get nothing.
The ground would be easy to grab right on the door itself.
I'm going to get under the dash first and see if I can find the floating ground but if I get frustrated, plan B.

Brian

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If there is a problem with a broken wire for the power windows/locks, it is almost always the case that it happens inside the door.

Reach in and feel along the harness for a broken wire. Start where the harness enters the door on the front. Twist/bend the harness while sliding your fingers along the wires.

If you can't feel a break, it is worth the effort to pull the harness out of the door and take a close look at the wiring. You will need to detach the door end of the rubber wire conduit that leads from the cab to the door.

Use a fine tooth hacksaw blade to cut through the rivets that secure the metal flange that seals the conduit to the door. You can pop rivet it back when done (or just use a couple of sheet metal screws).

Unplug the connectors from the motors, lock solenoids and switches.

Then using your left hand inside the door to push, and your right hand between the cab and front edge of the door to pull, feed the harness out of the hole in the door.

When the harness is all out and in the light of day, you should be able to find (and repair) the broken ground wire.

I think that the wires usually get cut by the power window.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
No... I'm just looking for a place to grab a ground. With my 12v test light, the bulb just barely glows so I know it's not a good ground or the ground is just feedback from somewhere. I can run a dedicated jumper back to the battery and all the windows work. Lift the jumper and i get nothing.
The ground would be easy to grab right on the door itself.
I'm going to get under the dash first and see if I can find the floating ground but if I get frustrated, plan B.

Brian

What if you just put a good ground to the cab from the frame and door to jamb.

uncle

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban
Engine Size
That's what I'll do.
Thanks

Brian

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
Anytime

TJ79Cheyenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Torrance
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I got a question for you guys. Got a 87 R10. There are 2 ground wires on the back of the passenger side head, just wonderin what those grounds are for exactly

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I think every SBC that is installed in a CK truck has those straps.

Since the battery is usually grounded to the alternator bracket these straps help provide the cab electrics with a path to ground (in addition to the cab mount bolts/frame path).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wrenchersllc