Window glass falls out of channel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MylesNT

Local Info Bum
Reaction score
First Name
Myles
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
The glass is falling out of track when I roll the windows down. This angers me and I want to start bending things to try and get them to act right, but that doesn't seem to be the best route to take, yet. I replaced the window regulators, and I don't know if the issue was there before because the scraper seals and window channel had rotted away. I've since replaced it all, but the glass won't stay in the track. There didn't seem to be any adjustment to the regulators, but it looks like one bolt might've had a slotted hole.

Any idea what I've done wrong? Maybe bent the regulators when I put them in? I didn't think I got rough with them.

For clarification, it's like both windows are "toed in". Here's a video.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Any help will be much appreciated.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Could be the rear channel has a broken bracket that holds the glass tight to the front channel. My 75 K20 had the rivets let go on that rear bracket and let the glass flop around and come out of the front. Or possibly just adjustment on the rear , too.

MylesNT

Local Info Bum
Reaction score
First Name
Myles
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I checked the rear brace today and it is ok. As far as any adjustment, I just don’t see how to, but I’m probably overlooking it.

MylesNT

Local Info Bum
Reaction score
First Name
Myles
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I got frustrated enough to start bending things and voila! It now tracks perfectly. Seems that over the years both rear brackets had bent and let the rear channel widen from the front. That made the glass too small for the channel and allowed it to fall out.

Took me a long time to stop trying to force things if it didn’t work like it was supposed to. Today, it worked.

christopher jones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Mine is having the same problem on the driver side

MylesNT

Local Info Bum
Reaction score
First Name
Myles
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I just grabbed the rear channel towards the bottom and pulled it in just a little. Didn’t take much and everything was right as rain.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Do you have photos or a diagram to explain what you did? Might driver's window is doing the same thing. I checked and everything is bolted in correctly, no missing hardware, etc. But every time I lower the window when it gets near the bottom of the travel it pops right out.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
you can loosen the bolts that hold the front channel at the bottom and push it back, then tighten it back up. I had this happen when i replaced the felts and that was my solution. It worked great.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@MylesNT,

I know this is a old thread but I was working with my vent window today and noticed this thread about the window glass. In the video I noticed that your vent window doesn't have the runner in it at all. That is the reason why your window glass doesn't fit tight. You need to put the vent window runner the window glass follows along the length of the vent track. You need that one and the one at the back, of the door, for the window glass to have something to run up and down in to stay centered in the framing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK