will it work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robert ruggles

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I bought a 1981 C10 short stepside with 2" lowered spindles and I wanted it back to stock height.
The lowered spindles had 1' disc brakes and the only stock height spindles I could find use 1.25 disc brakes which I have installed and it looks so much better with the C10 sitting level instead of nose low. I have ordered new 1.25 calipers and rubber hose lines that fit 1.25 calipers. I have 11" rear brakes.
Will the change to 1.25 disc brakes up front work out ok with my rear brakes? I included a picture of the MC and booster.
Thank you for any help

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
Nice truck

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I @$$ume you're referring to the thickness of the rotors.

The rotor diameter and piston size will have the most effect on the braking. As long as the calipers fit correctly and the other factors are the same I doubt you will notice anything different. Except the extra rotor meat may help with heat dissipation.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Good lookin stepper!!

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from the Buckeye State. Looks great raised up where it should be!!

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Main thing I would check is to see if the different rotor set ups use the same master cylinders. The bore size could possibly be different.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
So that's what my truck is supposed to look like....even the same brown color...
Mine was rusted and now in pieces...

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Here's the brake system release chart, showing the parts by part number for the entire system. You can see JB3 is the smallest power brake system, with the 1" rotor, and JB5 is the high runner (in terms of production volume) with the 1.25" rotor. JBx = vacuum; JDx = hydraboost.

I'm attaching the '86 version, because it's what I already have scanned, and the print on the '81 is super super tiny. I would suspect they are very similar if not exactly the same otherwise.

K

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
The differences I see are a slight diameter difference in the rear brake cylinder diameter, and little difference in the split point and slope of the prop valve.

I don't think we'll know until you try it.

K

robert ruggles

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the info. I am talking about the rotor width. I will report back the results when I get the new calipers installed.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Welcome from Austria. I think there's not much difference. Best way to find out is road test on a quiet stretch of road.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@robert ruggles,

The 1.25 rotors are fine, and I don't know when GM changed over to 4 disc brakes and got rid of the drums but My '74 full size has 1.25" rotors in front and 11" drums in the rear. You've got a very nice little truck. If you take care of that thing it ought to last nearly forever. What's the interior look like? We like pics around here! Don't go showin' us a nice truck like that...from across the dang street...makin' us squint.

And do you know how hard to find those hub caps are? I had them on my truck for a short while and I think I sold them for ten bucks. Now I wish I had kept them. I bought them from a wrecking yard and they were in a box. They looked new. Yours as far as I can tell look pretty dang good.

@ali_c20,
How prevalent are American pickup trucks in Austria? Who buys them? How much do they run $$? What years do people want over in Europe? Who drives them,i. e. farmers, regular people, just men, who?

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@robert ruggles,

Oh yeah, why is your brake res. crooked? It's actually turned like that, it's not supposed to be straight up and down?

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
How prevalent are American pickup trucks in Austria? Who buys them? How much do they run $$? What years do people want over in Europe? Who drives them,i. e. farmers, regular people, just men, who?

American pickup trucks are pretty rare in Austria / Europe old and new.
The old ones are driven by enthusiast and are used for weekend cruising. Buyers are 98% men. The most sought model years are the late 50ies to early 70ies short beds form all manufacturers. The price depends on mileage, condition, etc. It can vary from 10k to 30k $. When buying a truck from the states you also have to consider shipping, taxes and fees for registration. This can easily cost you additional 7-10k $. Best is if they are unrestored and not modified. We unfortunately have very strict rules for historic vehicles so every change of the original car/truck can void your registration.

New trucks: I only have the price for the new Ram 1500 Sport it's ~73k $. But thanks to the environmentalists on 1st of July there will be a new tax for co2 emissions and the same Ram will cost ~110k $. Some are used for work and towing but most of them are toys.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shock loaded