Who's worked with lead vs bondo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It's got a bad rep because of, well, IT'S LEAD! Ahhhhhhh!!!! Run Away!!!

It's not nearly as easy as bondo but in the end it's better because it's stronger and won't crack or absorb moisture.

Look at it this way; if you can solder a great electrical connection, you already have the basics.

Clean, clean, clean
Use rosin (tallow)
Use heat (you have to use the same careful heat on your metal as usual; i.e.: welding)
Tallow cleans and preps the surface to accept the lead and keeps it from severely burning your paddle.
I think you're confusing tallow with flux.
Tallow = non stick
Flux/tinning flux = solder sticks to the surface its supposed to.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Will give it a shot. Plumber Buddy just picked up some tinning flux and sticks of 50/50 from his other tin knocker buddy. Will try a couple "easy" spots. There's a smashed spot on the top corner of the bed rail and one on the tailgate that aint getting pulled out! Will see how hard it is on there and then if it works well enough try the cab spots.
Honestly I think bondo would work fine around the windshield, just something new to try. And alot of it is not visible. I expect to skim coat it with bondo to finish. I don't expect I'll be able to get it perfect w lead, but wil see.

AKguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab Silverado
Engine Size
I have been using 1” wide fine mesh fiberglass cloth and POR15 with good success. The mesh bridges well and the POR dries very hard. Used the silver POR on the rear window frame of my ‘73 Riviera project.
You must be registered for see images attach

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I think you're confusing tallow with flux.
Tallow = non stick
Flux/tinning flux = solder sticks to the surface its supposed to.

Right!
My fingers were typing faster than my brain was working.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Ah, so you have experience. Next time I'm down that way, I'll bring some practice sheetmetal and you can teach me the basics :D

I have experience as far as doing it, but I'm not a pro by any measure. I've watched and learned from some pros. They're artists!

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
I would try to zap the pin holes with mig, set some cardboard or something to contain the spatter and a few hits ought to fill them, likely less heat than would be experienced with leading there. My .02.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Lead melts around 330 degrees.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Will give it a shot. Plumber Buddy just picked up some tinning flux and sticks of 50/50 from his other tin knocker buddy. Will try a couple "easy" spots. There's a smashed spot on the top corner of the bed rail and one on the tailgate that aint getting pulled out! Will see how hard it is on there and then if it works well enough try the cab spots.
Honestly I think bondo would work fine around the windshield, just something new to try. And alot of it is not visible. I expect to skim coat it with bondo to finish. I don't expect I'll be able to get it perfect w lead, but wil see.

Lead will fix some holes but don't expect it to have great structural strength.

FUMES! DON'T BREATH 'EM!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Lead will fix some holes but don't expect it to have great structural strength.

FUMES! DON'T BREATH 'EM!

Duly noted, on both warnings. Structural strength not needed, this is only in the skin. The structural part of the cab is solid fortunately.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@AKguy, thanks for posting that up. My cab frame is pretty solid, not at the stage where I think I need to bridge any large holes. (Well 1 spot is, but I'm going to cut out and replace that with factory sheetmetal.

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
I had some bondo type stuff that had metal flakes you would add to it when mixing it up, for the life of me I cannot remember what is was called, the stuff worked very good I used it for all kinds of stuff. It wasnt made by bondo and I wanna say i got it a place that sells boat parts down by the scrap yards at Port of Tacoma by fife

DBeck350

Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Ahhh the 80s, big hair, Trans Am’s & Lead. A good friend did a quarter panel / roof section on an old Camaro back in 84 with lead. Small torch, flat iron, and sticks of lead and a lot of patience. Heated the metal slightly, warmed up the lead stick and smeared it into place. Like coloring with a fat crayon kinda process. He would smear it on then flat iron a little, hit it with the torch a touch and.... back to the beginning. It looked real purdy when he finished. Oh and he’s still around so apparently there’s nothing wrong with eating paint chips and breathing in the lead fumes!! He’s living proof and so are his 14 fingered kids.

jeff406cid

Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I know they use brass as well for pinhole work. I saw them do it on American Hot Rod, Boyd Coddington shop as well as on on at least one other show. I'm sure it's much safer than working with lead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl