White letters in or out?

White letters in or out?

• White letters in

• White letters out

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
So far the longevity looks as good as the Michelins I had on the car before, but the odometer is still out on that one. I don't know if the Jetta is the best metric for tires. It's so light it can't really push the sneakers to their limits. So for the car they're comparable to Michelins. I don't know that I'd be that confident putting them on the truck and loading it up with a bed full of steel stuff.
What load range are your generals? They are sticklers at most tire shops with my truck being a one ton and 10-ply load range E tires..

Most I’ve ever put in this truck is a yard and a half of pea gravel when I did the French drains around my garage. My feed store won’t load more than 18 bales in a one ton, no matter what. That’s around 2000lbs for alfalfa. Load range E tires exceed the weight rating of the rims. The factory 16x6.5 steelies are only rated at 3045lbs a piece, which is still far beyond most truck’s payload capacity.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Here are a couple. Not great pics, and they’re dirty. But I vote letters out.
You must be registered for see images attach

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Out for Goodyears, Michelins, Bridgestones, Firestones, etc.

Han-what? Sorry, I wouldn't advertise that.
Bravo! Post of the year!!! Right on the money....

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
What load range are your generals? They are sticklers at most tire shops with my truck being a one ton and 10-ply load range E tires..

Most I’ve ever put in this truck is a yard and a half of pea gravel when I did the French drains around my garage. My feed store won’t load more than 18 bales in a one ton, no matter what. That’s around 2000lbs for alfalfa. Load range E tires exceed the weight rating of the rims. The factory 16x6.5 steelies are only rated at 3045lbs a piece, which is still far beyond most truck’s payload capacity.

The Generals are on the Volkswagen. The truck always gets Michelins. I've never looked into Generals for it so I have no idea if they even make an E tire. I probably wouldn't have looked at them for the Jetta either if Michelin didn't stop making the size I needed.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I'm the second vote for in. They look good on certain vehicles but its just not my style.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I think I’ll go letters in. Reason being, I don’t detail cars. I vacuum the inside often but rarely do more than drive through the $7 quick quack. I’m thinking if you don’t put tire stuff on the lettering will go bad after a while. I wasn’t a fan when my bfg t/a ko’s started to peel their letters after a year or two. My buddies old dodge had the same tires with no issues, but he was always detailing that truck with tire dressing, etc.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I always go letters in and paint the letters. If you're painting the rims white, I think the letters would take away from it.

A second option is run a factory center cap from any 1989-2010 8 lug truck. I pulled this from another member's post. He drilled out the front cap to fit the hub. You would just need to buy new lugs with the threaded tops as that's how the caps attach.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
White letters don't come off unless you scrub curbs all the time, and then you end up with white sidewalls.

Making the letters look new again is simple. All it takes is some soapy water and a quick scrub with a red scotchbrite pad. Easy peasy.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I always go letters in and paint the letters. If you're painting the rims white, I think the letters would take away from it.

A second option is run a factory center cap from any 1989-2010 8 lug truck. I pulled this from another member's post. He drilled out the front cap to fit the hub. You would just need to buy new lugs with the threaded tops as that's how the caps attach.

It's funny you mention this. I really love white letter tires on a white painted steely. Opinions and ******** they say.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
If you're painting the rims white

I’m doing a color rustoleum calls “smoke gray”...it way the only gray color in a gallon of rustoleum professional. I’m going to paint my headache rack and flush mount weather guard with it, too. Maybe the grill as well depending on how light it looks when dry. I don’t want the grill to look very dark. I might pick up a pint of gloss white to mix into the gray for the grill.

Colin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
350 cu. in.
Out... appropriate for our vintage '73 - '87 trucks.
In on newer model vehicles.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I kinda think of white letters out like wearing jeans or a jean jacket. Looks more "tough?" I guess? With the letters in it looks more classy. Like you wouldn't put white letters out on a Cadillac Escalade (at least I wouldn't)

Compare Colin's Silverado with mine. Tires can make a big difference (including how the tread looks).

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I kinda think of white letters out like wearing jeans or a jean jacket. Looks more "tough?" I guess? With the letters in it looks more classy. Like you wouldn't put white letters out on a Cadillac Escalade (at least I wouldn't)

Compare Colin's Silverado with mine. Tires can make a big difference (including how the tread looks).

That explains it. I go nowhere without bluejeans and my nice jacket is a jean jacket. My newer truck also has the white letters showing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg