Whine after torque converter install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
It sounds like my old neighbor trying to start his Ford truck to me.

JohnMark

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So are you saying that you think the converter needs to go in to the pump more or out from it more? Ive never had a converter spacing issue in all the trans ive put in. I put the converter in and keep rotating it till it drops in 3 times then slide it out as far as it needs to meet the flex plate. Dont shoot me!! Maybe im wrong! :shrug:
Anything over 3/16” is said to be too far. Washers will take up the gap, but don’t take it all out. Don’t forget, you may need longer flexplate bolts. They may be M10 x 1.5 pitch, iirc. As much as they look like 3/8”. Your tc may be different.
what kind of torque converter did you install? el cheapo unit? One purchased used off a guy on facebook marketplace? A brand new high performance unit from a reputable vendor? Are you sure you got the right converter? have the right trans? You should only have 3/16"-1/4" gap before seating the converter with the bolts. Any more and you run the risk of running into problems. Just by the sound in the video it does mirror something rubbing rotationally. But it could also be the pump in the trans. If you have to it's not uncommon or out of line to use some washers between to "take up" the gap. With everything loose, re-seat the converter to the trans/pump, measure your gap, adjust accordingly and reinstall the bolts. See what happens.

Update. I got longer bolts as suggested and put two washers in to put total spacing at 1/8”. The sound is still there but I’d say it’s at 1/4 the volume as before. I can no longer hear it standing beside the truck. I have to get under the truck to hear it. Here is a video showing the tc and the same sound. It probably sounds the same volume on the video but is quieter in person.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

What do I do now? Let it ride and see if it gets better/worse or send back the tc or go into pump issues?

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ive ran across a few cracked flex plates.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
A cracked flex plate can be hard to see (at first) and it can certainly make some **** eating sounds, so it's possible.

JohnMark

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Another update...
took the bolts out again and was looking at everything and came across this. The mounting pads are not even. Notice the first two pads have space then the third one scrapes. Is this abnormal and would it cause the whine? How could I space it to even it out. It’s maybe 1/32 to 1/16 difference.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
My Hughes performance torque converters were like that. The mounts weren’t evenly welded on. The one I replaced them with was perfectly even.

Sounds like two sounds going on in the new video with it running. One kind of dragging scraping sound and one other squeaky sound.

JohnMark

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My Hughes performance torque converters were like that. The mounts weren’t evenly welded on. The one I replaced them with was perfectly even.

Sounds like two sounds going on in the new video with it running. One kind of dragging scraping sound and one other squeaky sound.
Do you believe this could cause either of these sounds? How should I shim it to even them out? It is not thick enough for 1/16” washer

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Do you believe this could cause either of these sounds? How should I shim it to even them out? It is not thick enough for 1/16” washer
I don’t think it would cause the sound. There’s a chance that having your TC pulled out too far initially damaged your front pump.

As far as shimming, I’m sure you could cut out a “washer” from an appropriate thickness piece of sheet metal.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
That slight difference in converter mounting tab height isn’t your issue. Keep in mind converters change dimensions ever so slightly, that’s why automatic transmissions use FLEXPLATE, and not a flywheel. Does the noise change with engine rpm or load? Hot or cold? My 10 inch Coan converter in my Olds has a “whirring” noise just off idle, it’s been there for 20 years and one rebuild. Some converter cores just make a little more noise than others. If it works fine other than the noise, drive it a little while and then drop the pan for inspection. If there is a bunch of debris in the pan, something isn’t right.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
If it works fine other than the noise, drive it a little while and then drop the pan for inspection. If there is a bunch of debris in the pan, something isn’t right.

Sounds like some of the people I work with. "It's making noise" "That's ok, run it till it blows, then fix it"

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I’m suggesting if the noise has been there from the start, it’s a quality converter, there is nothing else rubbing (starter drive, etc) it may be a normal characteristic of the converter core used in the build. There is a difference in running it until it won’t move anymore, and running it long enough for a inspection. If the pan is clean, there is nothing wrong with the converter install. If there is a bunch of debris, then it’s time to call the converter manufacturer for their opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK