Where's your line? ("Too much rust")

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
when its easier/cheaper to get one without rust and swap it around as needed. Truck I had floor was gone, as were rockers,cab corners and the firewall was rusting too. My plan was to find a rust free cab and swap it, till I moved to then I just sold the truck with the rusty cab.

Chevrolado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
V8
haha. You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the thoughts.. I think you all are talking me into continuing my bid for it.
This would be solely a project vehicle - sitting off to the side and me working on it as time and money comes available. It would be a toy. My level of experience with bodywork is a slight notch above 0.. hah. But again, this project/toy can be my "opportunity".

Also, to clarify the memory attachment.. my wife grew up riding around in the vehicle. Its owned by my father in law so my wife has fond memories of family trips and being in the vehicle.

So that was my thought on rebuilding the rusty cab spots, refreshing the motor, and then cruise it around as we grow up and expand our family into it as well. :D

Also, here are some pics of the rust that I'm worried about.

You must be registered for see images attach

Chevrolado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
V8
Thanks all. I'm still thinking the best route may be to pick up a donor body sometime (or find a junkyard that will let me cut some body parts off a burb they have sitting there). :)

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's not bad at all.

But in all fairness, I'm used to rust. I own stuff that most people would have scrapped long ago.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Hah, yeah that's not bad at all, could bang that out in a weekend. I thought you meant the thing was completely screwed. Come to New England some time, around here you could post that thing for sale as:

For sale- RUST FREE* super clean 1985 Suburban!
(*except a couple little spots here and there as shown in photos)

Big Brown (my last square, an '87 GMC longbed) had no rockers or floor whatsoever. Seriously there was a piece of plywood under the carpet and the rockers were rotted so far back that mud would splash on my leg when I drove through puddles. The doghouses were held in with bungie cords and I'm pretty sure the license plate was even zip tied on through some rust holes on the back of the bed where the rear bumper used to be.

That Burb you're looking at it A-OK in my book. But yeah I definitely would fix it before it got any worse.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Im with everyone else here, i would jump all over that!! The top of the door worries me but i know to the right skill its repairable.

Chevrolado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
V8
Thanks for the input guys! I'm less frightened - but still anxious a little about it. hah.

i have to admire you guys. i see a rust bubble and run.
hah, this is exactly why I asked this question.. I know everyone's "line" is different. Normally I had been closer to your line.
But in this case, I'm trying to sway myself towards the possibilities working through it. :D

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Thanks for the input guys! I'm less frightened - but still anxious a little about it. hah.

hah, this is exactly why I asked this question.. I know everyone's "line" is different. Normally I had been closer to your line.
But in this case, I'm trying to sway myself towards the possibilities working through it. :D
Ill tell you one thing man.... i passed on my absolute dream car (wich is my avatar) because a lil rust in an odd place like this and i kick myself daily for not buying that motherFC*N car!! Dont kick yourself later... TAKE IT!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ill tell you one thing man.... i passed on my absolute dream car (wich is my avatar) because a lil rust in an odd place like this and i kick myself daily for not buying that motherFC*N car!! Dont kick yourself later... TAKE IT!

I think we've all been there a few times.

So you want a black '64 SS? I'll keep my eyes peeled.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I think we've all been there a few times.

So you want a black '64 SS? I'll keep my eyes peeled.
Honestly any iteration of a 64 impala... ss, hard top, 2 door, 4 door, wagon, drop top.... id kill for a 64 impala!!! Like i said im still kickin myself for not buying that local one that RAN!!

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Wasn't there somebody on here from the New England area that posted pics of a pick-up they had, that literally rusted in half?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave