Where to get speedometer gears?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mishri

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Dunno if i'm even calling them the right thing. I have a buddy helping me with this. They came out of the transfer case.

You must be registered for see images attach

The housing part is missing the o-ring, that shaft is missing teeth, and the one inside is also broken..I think he said it was red, but maybe blue. (he told me sometimes they are red sometimes blue but yours is ***.. now i just have red/blue stuck in my head, he should have just said the color hah)

Do you know where I can order these thingamijiggers? In order to change those out I believe i'll need some sort of seal for where we remove the housing or something. I'm a newb, good thing my friends know stuff :)

Thanks,

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The part in your pic may still be good, you should hope so because they are getting harder to find. The teeth don't have to be sharp, since they ride on a plastic gear in the tail housing. Just check the end where the cable slides in and make sure it isn't rounded out. You should probably check your speedometer and make sure it hasn't froze up. Attach a cordless drill to the cable and run it slowly in reverse while someone watches the gauge. If it moves, it's good obviously but if it feels like the drill is binding or not wanting to turn don't force it, you'll break the cable. I looked around and saw a few places that have the plastic gear but this is the cheapest place, and they only have the red...
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/311997.html
You might be able to find more on ebay motors.

By the way I only saw white, red and yellow plastic gears at another website, and those thieves wanted $78 a piece for them.

warrpath4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1972/ 1977
Truck Model
72 K5/ 77 Jimmy
Engine Size
350/ 400
i have just gone to my local transmission shops before to get speedo gears

Mishri

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
thanks for the advice. The part in the pic is missing teeth, you can see in the pic the dark part on one of those teeth, that is completely broken off. speedometer and cable work fine, we already did the drill trick.

local transmission shop said they can't order those parts, I'll need to check with a company in WA or possibly another town, or junk yard.

I'll take it apart again soon and look at the color of the gear, apparently that shaft is supposed to have a letter on it that i'll need to order the new one (or find a matching one in a junk yard).

this weekend I took it out camping, radiator blew up and battery died, so i have more pressing things to order/fix now ;) iv'e just been using a gps for a speedo, works alright.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising